twenty-three

✧˖*°࿐ I SHOULD BE OVER ALL THE BUTTERFLIES
BUT IM INTO YOU
paramore

"Did you make it there safe?" Chris's voice came on the other side of the line, the chatter echoing from the locker room through the speakers.

Aven hummed, resting her arm on her suitcase as she shivered from the crisp Ann Harbor air. "Yeah. I'm waiting for Bells to pick me up."

"Awesome, sweetie." Chris spoke softly. "I gotta get going but I just wanted to check in. We all miss you. Stay in touch."

"Yeah, I will." Aven stared blankly at the streets, the sky dark. "Miss you guys too. Good luck tonight."

Aven hung up the phone, sliding it into her sweatpants as a smile crept on her face. The Honda pulled to the side of the road, the horn blaring obnoxiously as Aven walked closer.

"Aves!" Bella screeched, slamming her door shut as she embraced her friend tightly. "It's so good to see you."

Aven laughed softly as the two separated, shaking her head. "I know." She placed her bags in the trunk before getting into the passenger seat.

Bella put the car in drive as the two stared out through the windshield. "So..." Bella sighed, glancing at her momentarily. "How's it going?"

"Fine." Aven shrugged. "I'm just trying not to think about it."

"It? Or...him?" Bella asked. "No offense or anything but, like, he was your first real boyfriend. Are you just trying to...escape it?"

Aven stared down at her hands as she sucked her teeth. "I'm not sure. I'm trying not to think about him. I just need a refresh."

"Okay." Bella smiled. "Trust me, you'll forget him here. I've been scoping out everything and everyone and i've even found myself at a few hockey games."

Aven chucked with a headshake. "Of course. What are you trying to say?"

"There's other hockey players out there." Bella shrugged. "You'll find another Jack. Plus, if you start playing hockey you'll be the talk of the team."

"Sure." Aven furrowed her brows. "I have a meeting with the head coach tomorrow and another with deans and admissions."

Bella clapped her hands excitedly. "They would be stupid to not take you back. Plus, your dad is, like, boys with the office of admissions people."

"We'll see." Aven nodded. "Who's in your dorm?"

"This girl named Lily." Bella shrugged, turning onto the campus. "We had a third roommate but she dropped out like four weeks in. Which means...you could definitely dorm with us."

Aven rolled her eyes. "Let's see if they'll even let me come here." She stared out of the window as Bella pulled into an open parking lot by the dormitories. "And you're sure it's cool with me spending the night?"

"Yep." Bella nodded, unbuckling her seat belt. "Lily is definitely out a frat anyways. Which leaves us to catch up and you to start unloading your things in your dorm."

"You're not gonna take no as an answer, huh?" Aven cocked a brow as the two exited her car.

Bella opened her trunk, glancing at the blonde. "How long have you known me?"

"Too long." Aven shot back as the two laughed, Bella helping Aven grab her bags as she slid held her keycard. The two walking downhill towards the hall.

The light flashed green as it beeped, allowing the two into the dorms as they walked up towards the elevator, stepping inside.

Aven glanced to her side, staring at the empty space beside her.

Jack leaned forward towards her, tucking a loose strand behind her ear. "Thank you." She blushed at his sweet gesture.

"I still can't believe it." He blurted.

"Believe what?" Aven cocked her head to the side with confusion, flickering her eyes between his piercing blue ones.

Jack smiled softly. "That I have you."

Avens lips turned up as she grabbed his face, smushing their lips together as she smacked her lips on his, the two laughing as he swept her from her feet, holding her like a toddler.

"Aven." Bella snapped her fingers in her face. "Hello?"

Aven shook her head, blinking rapidly. "Sorry, what?"

"Where'd you go?" Bella laughed in disbelief. "You were zoned out for a good few seconds."

"I'm just tired." Aven shrugged, the elevator dinged as they stepped off onto Bella's floor.

Aven followed the brunette as she hummed, passing all of the co-ed dorms as Bella opened her door, allowing Aven in.

"This is cute." Aven complemented as she glanced around, placing her things down beside the plain white bed, completely abandoned.

"Right." Bella smiled, admiring the smaller room. "I'm gonna hit the showers and then meet Lily at this party. You should totally come."

Aven waved her hand. "No, no. I'm exhausted and I have a super busy day tomorrow."

"Okay, fine." Bella scoffed. "But tomorrow we're gouging out. We have to celebrate the fact that you'll be a wolverine."

"Deal." Aven nodded, chucking softly as she watched her friend skip off to the showers, leaving Aven alone.

She grabbed her pillows and blanket as she tossed it on the twin bed, hoping into the mattress as she opened her laptop.

She clicked on the live watch, the familiar horn sound made her shiver as she watched the second period. The Devils were being crushed by the Oilers, their skating patterns completely off.

The camera switched to Jack on the bench as he was staring blankly, his lip gushing blood as Ruff tapped him, putting him on the ice.

Jack skated like a beginner, being shoved against the boards and falling consistently. His game was off as well as his demeanor.

Aven couldn't bare herself to watch anymore as she slammed it shut, breathing deeply as she turned over, staring at the blank walls, yearning for arms that couldn't hold her.

michigan era