thirty-one

✧˖*°࿐ DO YOU FEEL ASHAMED
WHEN YOU HEAR MY NAME?
ANYWAY, DONT BE A STRANGER
pheobe bridgers

Aven groaned, rubbing her eyes as she stared out of her window, seeing the darkened sky. She stretched, running a hand through her hair.

She glanced down at her phone, hissing from the bright light as she let her eyes focus.

"Went out for drinks with a few of the guys. Be home soon."

Aven threw her legs over her bed after reading the text from her father, taking a quick shower before throwing on her sweatsuit.

She brushed her fingers through her thick hair, pinning it back with a clip as she let the bottom half sit. Her car started as she hurried towards it, the cold Jersey air nipping at her skin through the thick fleece.

Aven drove, music playing lowly as her head was consumed with thoughts. Aven needed to clear her head, she needed to be away from the memory of him. Everything in her life, tied back to him. Like an invisible string.

She put her car in park after the twenty minute drive, feeling her heart pounding as she exited it, locking it as she kept her pepper spray in her pocket.

The beach was empty, like wise. It was the middle of December, the sand was cold to the touch and the waves were aggressive.

She sat a few feet away from the water, completely indulging in the silence, other than the sound of the waves crashing against the shore.

For a moment she felt peace, but then there was that moment of guilt.

"I guess you fulfilled my promise for me." She could hear Jacks voice echoing through her head as she brought her knees to her chin, her skin aching with the need for his touch.

"Aven." His voice repeated, making her halt. Aven was quick to turn her head up, everything around her freezing.

Jack stood there, staring at her. His silhouette was blurry from how dark it had been, his hands were in his pockets as his cologne made her seasick.

He sat beside her, keeping room between them as he stared out at the ocean.

"Aven." Jack began, his voice shaky.

"Don't." Aven cut him off, keeping her eyes locked on the bubbly substance from the water, her eyes already building with tears. "Just don't."

Jack sighed lightly, his hands coming down to sink in the sand. "I thought we were good?"

"What are you doing here?" Aven asked harshly, still doing anything to not look at him as she avoided his question.

"I could ask you the same thing." Jack shot back, shaking his head. "I always come here, you know that. I saw your car and I couldn't help myself."

Aven crossed her arms, hugging herself. "Why not? Does your girlfriend know you're here?"

Jack was silent, he swallowed. "I'm sorry."

"I should get going." Aven cleared her throat, standing up as she dusted herself off, sulking through the sand as she kicked it up beneath her feet.

"Wait!" He called out. Aven didn't turn her head as she kept walking towards her car.

Jack hurried around her, coming to face her as she groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose. "What, Jack?"

"I just...I don't wanna leave things like these between us." Jack shook his head, the desperate tone of his voice made her shiver. "I should've fought harder for us. I regret that."

"No matter what, he won't let us be together." Aven sighed, watching his lips snap shut as she finally looked at him. "It was fun."

Jacks lips were pointing down slightly, his hair shorter, kept neat. "Yeah."

"It's cool." Aven shrugged. "You moved on. I will too." She brushed past him, patting his shoulder softly before getting into her car.

Jack stood, watching as she reversed, seeing the way her eyes glimmered, threatening with tears. Aven drove down the road, her hands shaking as she lifted her fingers to her neck, taking the chain from beneath her sweater as she ran her finger over the pendent.

...
quinn deserved the win tbh i love him