39.

"River, do you have a minute?" Zak asked just as I was about to leave.

With Lando.

We planned on watching a movie together. I planned on cuddling him, I maybe even planned on kissing him.

Maybe.

"I will wait for you" Lando whispered and he walked out of the hospitality.

I walked in Zak's office and sat down on the empty chair in front of his desk.

"You're doing excellent work River, we are so happy to have you in our team" he started. He was being nice, but he didn't call me in to compliment me.

No, there was something else he wanted to talk about and I could already guess what it was about.

"But some people may fear you will put Lando first" there it was. I doubt that Oscar went to him and complained. He wasn't like that.

"I don't know what's going on between you guys, I honestly can't keep up but I hope you will be professional when you need to be"

I chuckled a little as I shook my head. "Give me one example when I wasn't professional?"

I waited for an answer but it wasn't gonna come.

"I was professional when we dated, I was professional when we broke up. I always wanted the best for both of them"

Why were people always questioning if I was professional or not? Did they really think I couldn't separate work and feelings?

"I know River and like I said, we are very happy you joined the team. I trust you but there are just some people who doesn't"

"So, you can tell them to talk to me directly or are you firing me?"

He immediately shook his head. "I am definitely not firing you"

"Then I'm going because I'm dead tired. Good night Zak" I said as I got up. It was just a useless talk because someone, probably Georgia, complained.

I walked outside of the hospitality and saw Lando standing in the middle of the paddock, talking to Max.

I walked to the both of them, disturbing their little conversation because they both immediately looked at me.

"How did it go?" Lando asked as he took a step closer. He probably didn't notice it, but he always wanted to be as close as possible. "Just Zak being Zak" I shrugged.

I was gonna tell him what he said, but not with Max standing here. He didn't need to know about the doubts they had because he would tell Christian.

And I didn't need that right now.

"So, Max asked if we wanted to go play padel with him and the boys" Lando said, still looking at me.
I was sure that Max didn't ask us to go with him.

He asked Lando.

"I am tired but I hope you guys have fun" I smiled and put my hand on Lando's arm, assuring him that I would be fine.

But I just wanted to cuddle up in my bed and sleep. I was so tired, all this traveling and hard work was definitely taking a toll on me.

"You sure?" Lando titled his head a little, taking a good look at me but he probably also noticed my tired eyes.

I nodded and said my goodbyes to them.

I was a little gutted because I was actually looking forward to falling asleep with him but I also didn't want to be the reason why he didn't hang out with his friends anymore.

So I went to my room alone, changed into a hoodie Lando 'forgot' and crawled into bed.

But the universe really hated me, because just as I was about to put a movie on, someone knocked on my door.

I grumbled as I got up and opened the door.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I said as I raised my eyebrow. This was the last person I expected to be standing here in front of my door right now.

The last person I wanted to see.