67.

"Let's go River" Adam, my lawyer shook me out of my thoughts.

I looked at him confused. "Wait what?"

"Did you not listen? We won" he looked at me as he raised his eyebrow. I must've zoned out when I was looking at my dad. "We did?"

"Well, you still have to pay everything back but they dropped the fraud charge because you never impersonated anyone."

"So you better call Lando yourself" Christian laughed as he patted my back.

I nodded with a big smile on my face and wrapped my arms around him.

God, I was so thankful for this man in my life.

I put my head on his shoulder and looked at my dad. He was shaking his head as he looked back at me. I waved and put my middle finger up at him before walking out with Christian, Nate and Athena.

My real family.

I walked in Lando's apartment and fell down on the couch. I was right, my dad was both shit at being a dad and at his job.
Christian was way better anyways.

I decided not to call Lando now, like I said, I wanted him to concentrate on this race and it was way too late anyways.

The race was about to start so I turned on the tv and started watching it. The guy who replaced me was decent, not great though but I went over the strategy with Lando beforehand.

I made the strategy, my replacement just had to follow my notes and if necessary, adjust it a little.

An easy job.

Until it started raining, this could mess up the entire strategy even though I prepared a plan B for that. He just had to follow it.

"Come on, call him in" I muttered to the tv as if it could hear me.

Everyone boxed for inters as it started pouring down and so did Lando, but it was raining way too hard so they red flagged the race for a while.

Lando was sitting on the pitwall as he was waiting for the race to continue. He was sitting on my seat. I was so grateful for this cameraman because he zoomed on his pretty face.

He winked and blew a kiss at the camera.

To me.

I knew he did it for me. I couldn't wait to be with him again, kiss him all over that pretty face and make love to him, definitely make love to him.

The race resumed after half an hour, with a standing start. Pretty weird decision considering it was still very wet.

And it turned out to be a stupid idea as well.

It was hard to see because there was a lot of spray because of the rain, but a couple of cars crashed against each other.

There was a yellow flag that turned into a red flag immediately. Not a good sign at all. I prayed nothing bad had happened.

But my heart skipped a beat when they showed the replay and saw Lando's car flip a few times, too many times, before crashing in the barrier and catching fire.

It was a combination of Zhou's crash at Silverstone and Grosjean's crash at Bahrain. Two of the worst crashes.

It took too long, way too long. He wasn't getting out. He wasn't moving, he wasn't telling the engineers he was fine.

They cancelled the race after that so I knew it was bad.

I tried calling Christian, I tried calling everyone I knew but no one was picking up. Minutes turned into hours.

I was pacing through the apartment. From the kitchen to the living room, to the balcony when finally my phone started ringing, it was Christian.

I never picked up the phone quicker than I did now. "Please tell me he's fine. Please Christian" I begged as I broke down.

He wasn't answering. His silence lasted way too long. "Please" I stuttered between my tears.

"I'm so sorry River" Is all he said but it was enough. It was enough to confirm my worst fears, it was enough to break my entire life.

I let the phone fall down on the ground and put my hands on the railing of the balcony as I looked up at the sky.

I started crying, I couldn't stop, my tears were falling down my cheeks.

I can't do this without him.