Widows

Previously on Dragon Generations!!!

Matteo: "Well, the good news is that we know the Wendigo that took you...um."

David: "Daughter."

Matteo: "Ah yes, we know who took your daughter, but the bad news is that Cupcakes doesn't know any of those Wendigos."

David frowned a bit at this.

David: "Well, which Wendigo is it?"

Matteo: "Eeeeh, well, it's the Widow Wendigo."

Hugo: "What's the Widow Wendigo?"

Matteo: "Well, my dear boy, that Wendigo is a very difficult creature; they mostly hunt any creature, even themselves, on sight."

We continue:

Matteo: "There are many stories about how Widow Wendigos appeared in this world, but the oldest one is this: The ancient origin of the Widow Wendigos is shrouded in mystery, betrayal, greed, and forbidden love. The story goes that there was once a human woman who was cursed by the gods for their betrayal of those who trusted and loved them. The legend tells of a young woman who desired the chief of her tribe, but the chief was already married to another woman. The young woman, in her jealousy and anger, decided to poison the chief's wife in order to free him to be with her. However, her plan was discovered, and the tribal community sentenced her to be mummified alive in the deepest and darkest forest. But the young woman did not die. Instead, her rage and hatred at being betrayed and abandoned by those she loved and trusted in her tribe was so strong that it overtook her. She emerged from her mummy to become the first Widow Wendigo, a being of immense power and wrath with claws, fangs, horns, and wings. During that time, the Widow Wendigos were seen as powerful entities, both feared and revered, with unique abilities like the gods, transforming into the form of a human woman, appearing beautiful and irresistible to men. They are said to bring bad luck to anyone who crosses their path and are capable of great destruction and mischief. That's the short version of it."

David: "What was the point of telling us this?"

Matteo: "A little history lesson, and who knows, maybe it'll be important later on." 

David: "You just said that there are many stories of the Widow Wendigos, so how can this one be important to us? And don't you priests usually believe that all creatures are the Black Dragons' children?"

Matteo only smiled at David in silence. This awkward silence made the group feel uncomfortable. They only spent a night with this weird man, and they still can't wrap their heads around the fact that a priest is married to a Wendigo.

Hugo: "So, um, how do we find my sister?"

Matteo: "Oh, right! We're going to go in the village today and going to ask if any Wendigo's seen or heard anything suspicious."

David: "Then there's no time to waste. Let's go!"

Matteo: "Hold on, let me just put a spell on you real quick, and then we'll head off with my darling cupcake. Now, everyone line up in a row, please."

Everyone stood in a straight line.

Hugo: "Why do we need a spell on us?" Hugo asked curiously.

Matteo: "Because, little guy, if I don't put this spell on you, then each and every one of you will be brutality mauled to death because the Wendigos at the village will not recognize your scent." 

Everyone was silent; they were conflicted about how cheerfully he said that; this made the group start wondering who this guy was and what exactly does he even do in his life. Is he really a priest?

As the group ponders who this priest really is, Matteo starts holding his necklace around his neck with one hand and starts casting a spell upon the entire group with his other hand. "Nanic-Gos ik." Light beams formed in the palms of his hands and circled around the group. Hugo's eyes widened in amazement. This was the very first time that he had ever seen magic in front of his eyes. He had heard stories about magic from his grandmother, Eleanor, but he had never seen magic in real life before.