Old Friends

The sun was just starting to rise over the horizon when Hugo was thrown to the ground. He groaned in pain, his body aching from the intense training he had received from his grandmother and father. They had been training all night and into the daylight hours, leaving him exhausted and sore.

Despite his pain, Eleanor was quick to praise Hugo. "You're doing better than last week, Hugo," she said with a smile. David helped his son up, " You're a quick learner and have already grasped the basics." He said, sounding proud of his son.

Hugo, grateful for their encouragement, thanked them through gritted teeth. Just then, Megan appeared with a tray of sandwiches and homemade juice.

Megan: "Alright, that's enough training; Hugo can barely stand and I am sure he is tired."

Eleanor patted Hugo's back gently, " We'll stop here for now, soon though your body will get used to the training in time." Hugo took a bite of the sandwich gratefully, relieved to have a short rest.

While everyone was enjoying their sandwiches and sipping on their drinks, Megan let out a deep sigh and looked towards Eleanor and David.

Megan:" David, Eleanor, I need to discuss something with you in private," she said, looking quite anxious.

Both of them turned their gaze towards Megan and followed her inside the house, leaving Hugo alone outside in the backyard, feeling a tinge of curiosity about what might be happening, he sneaks his way to the window to eavesdrop on their conversation.

Megan sat down on a dining chair, seeking relief from standing for too long. She hesitated before speaking up but eventually said, "I didn't want to bring it up at first, but..."

David walked behind Megan's chair and began massaging her shoulders, hoping to ease her discomfort. "If you're worried about Hugo, my love, you don't need to be. He's taking the training quite well." David said, attempting to reassure his wife. Meanwhile, Eleanor observed Megan closely, sensing that something was wrong.

Megan: "No, it's not that....I mean, well, yes, I am worried about Hugo, but that's not what I'm talking about." David stopped massaging Megan's shoulders.

Megan: "Well...after Alexandra..." She didn't want to say that her daughter is dead, it's far to painful to say, "I keep hearing her voice behind me. But when I turn around, there's no one there and this happens every day. I hear her voice saying 'mama'... .I just...I don't know what's going on."

David and Eleanor were stunned. "Why didn't you mention this as soon when it started!?" David asked, concerned for his wife.

Megan: "I didn't want to burden you with it, Eleanor is a knight again, so that's a lot of stress, not knowing if she's gonna get hurt or worse...You're training Hugo, so...I didn't want to bother you with it." Megan replied, sounding apologetic.

David: "You should have told us, Megan. This could be a sign that something is happening to you and to our unborn child." he said, sounding worried.

Eleanor intervened, "David, stop it. Don't make her more anxious than she already is." She turned to Megan and said, "I am not a expert on this but I do know who is." Eleanor grabs a paper and ink quill and started drawing and writing something on the paper. Once she was done, she handed the paper to David.

It was a drawing of a map to an unmarked place that is not on the original world maps and names that David wasn't familiar with.

Eleanor: "I can't take you there, but once you arrive, mention my name and the names on the paper. They should let you in. You should also take Hugo with you; he can learn something from there."

David: "Who exactly are these people?"

Eleanor: "Old friends." She said quietly; David watched his mother's expression and how sad she looked. One thing that he knows about his mother is that she doesn't like showing her emotions, especially when she is sad, so when he sees what she looks like, he decides not to question it.

Eleanor: "Anyway, this is a good time you brought this up, Megan; I won't be here for a while, not sure how long; it all depends on how fast we kill Eldric."