Chapter 34

A/N: I wanted to make a Thanksgiving chapter but I don't celebrate Thanksgiving so I'm just going to skip that part. However, this is a little after Thanksgiving.

Alexandra's POV

It's almost the end of the year— there's roughly a little over a month left before the start of a new year. It's almost Christmas. It's almost New Years— but it's also almost that one time of the year that I hate.

I've never celebrated Thanksgiving. Or Christmas. Hell not even New Years. I've never celebrated anything so there's no point in being excited for it.

However, although I don't feel anything for those days, I feel deep and utter hatred for this day.

The day that I was born into this world.

My birthday.

It's almost my birthday.

My whole life I wished to do something for my birthday but never did I ever get the chance to because I was stuck in a world of black and blue where there were no such thing as joy and bliss and whatever word you would use to describe happiness.

I always wished to be able to cut a cake for my birthday or receive presents like everyone does— I don't care if it was something small like socks or sweets, at least I received something, at least someone cared enough to remember my birthday.

It makes me so upset to hate my birthday when everyone else around me gets so excited for the day that's dedicated to them that only comes once a year.

Everyone else got to celebrate it with their friends and family while I celebrated it by myself with only a little cupcake that I would buy myself with the little amount of money I would have.

I think hate is a strong word though— I don't hate my birthday, I just don't like it. There's nothing to look forward to.

But this year is different. I'm in a completely different place with completely different people and I don't know what to expect.

The only person that cared enough to remember the day I was born was Lola. My only friend I had when I needed someone the most.

She would spend the day with me and would always bake me extra cookies as a gift. I miss her so much but I know she's in a better place now and isn't suffering anymore.

I wish to have her here with me. Everyone would've loved her.

I would've never thought that I would live to see past fourteen, but in two days, I would be turning seventeen and deep inside my heart, I'm glad that I lived long enough to meet my family that I never even thought I would have the chance to.

Two days and it would be the first time I won't be alone on my birthday.

It's scary.

Here I am on a Tuesday night, lying in bed and thinking about my birthday that's two days away. I'm so scared of how I might feel and how a birthday with everyone would be like.

Will I be overwhelmed? Will I enjoy it?

I know for a fact they'll remember it because it's all they've been talking about— especially Ares.

I love how he's so excited about our birthday while I don't even know what to feel.

Every morning, he comes into the kitchen screaming the days we have left till we turn seventeen, he's that excited.

He holds enough excitement for the both of us that I don't even feel guilty for not feeling anything towards our seventeenth birthday.

A sigh left my lips as I turned my head to look at the bedside table that read 11:27 pm.