Chapter 35

Alexandra's POV

"Happy birthday!" I woke up early in the morning to Ares jumping on top of my sleeping body while I groaned and pulled my blanket over my face.

Today's the day.

Today's the day Ares and I turn seventeen— I don't feel any different but this is my birthday we're talking about. The day I was born into this world and the day I'm not a fan of.

"Wake up! We're seventeen!" Ares pulled my blanket away from my cold body, making me immediately shiver from the cold wind that touched my exposed skin.

"I still have another hour till my alarm rings. Let me sleep." I mumbled, curling my body into a ball to emit the warmth my blanket gave me before it was rudely snatched away.

But there was no way I could emit the same warmth my blanket provided— it was simply impossible especially in this cold winter air.

"No. We have presents to unwrap before school and we have a bright and fun day ahead of us!" he excitedly said and I immediately missed the old grumpy Ares because grumpy Ares would never wake me up this early, simply because he himself could never get out of bed this bright and early.

Can't wait for this day to be over.

"You also never wished me a happy birthday." he frowned when he realised.

With a sigh, I sat up straight and a smile immediately formed on my face at the sight of my twin brother in his pyjama pants that had baby yoda on them.

"Happy birthday, twinny." the sleepiness I had disppeared from my face when Ares smiled the biggest smile and lunged at me for a tight hug, "This is the best birthday ever." he mumbled from my hair.

"Our birthday barely even started." I giggled.

"Yeah, but it's the first birthday with my twin after so long." he mumbled and a sad smile made it's way onto my face.

It really is sad how this was my first birthday with them that I remember and I'm not even looking forward to it because the only thing I remember from my birthday every year was being alone. Nothing else.

"Aw, you're so cringy!" I teased.

"Say whatever you want to say, but it's the truth." he proudly exclaims and I had to resist the urge to pinch his cheeks, but alas, I brought my hand to his face and squeezed his cheeks, "Baby Ares is so excited for his birthday!" I teased in a baby voice.

It earned a harsh slap to my hand and I frowned, "Don't hit the birthday girl!"

"It's my birthday too!"

With a playful roll to my eyes, I got out of bed and grabbed a towel to take a shower before school since I kind of got lazy last night.

"I'm going to go take a shower, get out of my room and close the door while you do, thanks." I muttered.

As soon as the water hit my body, I immediately felt more awake than I had when I was brutally woken up from my slumber.

But the good thing was, I was able to sleep peacefully last night, maybe because I had fallen asleep while on FaceTime with Everett— it seems to be our everyday routine nowadays.

He always calls me right before I sleep, it doesn't even feel right anymore to fall asleep without hearing his voice.

I quickly finished showering and left my room in my fluffy towel before dressing myself in the school uniform.

Since it was winter now, the uniform consisted of a long sleeve shirt and a tie along with a skirt and a blazer— but the blazer doesn't really do a good job in keeping me warm so I wrapped a scarf around my neck and prayed I wouldn't freeze to death.