Chapter 54

Chapter 54:

My eyes fluttered open as the fog brushed along my face. Groaning internally, I pushed myself off the cold ground and rose to my feet. "Hello there, Lillian," I said, rolling the stiffness out of my shoulders. Her ghostly body stood a few yards away from me. I looked at the others who were chanting in their usual trance like state. They were always in this state when I was brought here. They didn't have a chance to move or do anything else. All they did was chant. Though they were part of my misery, I was starting to feel bad for them. Is this all they did in my head?

"And how are you, Blair?" Lillian asked casually looking at me with her foggy eyes. She was taking me in.

"Peachy," I responded. "And you?" I sarcastically asked.

"I've been marvelous. You know Blair, you have given me a lot to think about," she smiled. "Care to hear my thoughts?" she asked.

"I'm sure you'll tell me either way," I answered folding my arms across my chest.

"I was surprised at your refusal earlier when your mother didn't want to sign the papers. Are you finally realizing the monsters that make up the Covenant?" she asked with a wicked smile on her face. I sharply inhaled. "I mean your own father used his powers against you when you were defenseless. After saving his darling son," she mocked.

"Is that why you've brought me here? To talk about that?"

She doesn't answer. Instead, she asks, "What about Chase makes you feel comfortable being around him?"

It took me a moment to realize what she asked as I was dumbfounded. "Chase? You want to talk about Chase now?"

"Yes. Why Chase?" she repeats.

I had to think about it. Chase was someone who was easy to talk to. He was normal and we could just talk without my powers or who I am, being brought up. He understood things that no one else did. "We can talk about things that aren't related to who I am or what I am," I told truthfully. "And it is nice sometimes to talk about everything else in the world rather than my existence."

Lillian let out a shrieking laugh. "There you go again, wanting to be normal when you are not. Here is some advice for you, Blair. Stop focusing on boys, especially ones you don't really know, and spend more time working on your powers." She mimicked my stance, her arms folded against her chest.

"Why?" I asked. "I'm not going to do what you ask."

"Oh you will. One way or the other, you will do everything I want you to do," she mysteriously said, flashing her teeth.

"You seem so confident but hate to break it to you, you're not going to get me to do what you want," I replied, annoyed with having the same conversation again with her and having to say the same thing over and over again.
"I won't have to do a single thing." She smirked at me, radiating confidence. She was quietly studying me, the chanting of the others filling the space. Then surprisingly, after looking at me once over, she turned on her heels and started to walk away from me. "Get some rest, Blair. You're going to need it," she said over her shoulder. Then everything faded to black as the others dissipated out of view with the fog.

"Blair, wake up," I heard. Opening my eyes, I realized I was still in Tyler's car. We had reached the back to the school.

"Sorry," I mumbled, stretching my neck. "I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"It's okay," he chuckled. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm surprisingly fine," I answered, realizing that my encounter with Lillian wasn't scary or draining like the others.