Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

I sat in class, waiting for the bell to ring. I stared at the clock, zoning out what was going on in class. The gang was sitting in the row in front of me and Chase was sitting in the row on the other side of the aisle. I stared at the clock and watched the seconds pass by.

"Blair?" I heard in the distance.

"Hmmm?" I answered, turning my head. Everyone in the room was staring at me as I looked confused.

"Would you like me to repeat the question?" Mr. Rudd asked folding his arms.

"Yes please," I said feeling my cheeks turn red and hot.

"I am asking everyone what their parents' names are. Pogue just went now it is your turn." I started to shake. I knew where this was going and I didn't want to say. "What are your parents' names?" I froze. There was a moment of silence before Mr. Rudd asked again. "Their names?"

"Right their names, I um...."

"Any day now Miss Blair," Mr. Rudd said in a testy voice.

"I don't have parents!" I blurted. I felt everyone's eyes on me. I was red as a tomato. No one was saying anything, a pin could drop and it would sound like a crash. I started to fidget in my seat. I guess I should say something. "I don't have parents," I said. You already said that stupid.

"Of course you have parents," Mr. Rudd scoffed.

"No... I don't." I tried to hide the shakiness in my voice.

"How?" I heard someone ask from the crowd of eyes looking straight at me.

"I was given up for adoption and never got adopted," I said as I looked down at my hands. "So to sum it all up. Blair has no parents." My heart was racing and I needed to get out, away from everyone. "Mr. Rudd, I have a doctor's appointment I need to go to."

"Do you have a signed note?" he asked awkwardly like he didn't know what to say to me. I placed my hand in my notebook and I thought of a note. The force left my hand, producing a headache for me. I stood up and pulled the piece of paper out. I gathered my stuff as quickly as I could and practically ran down the stairs. I handed him the note and pushed through the door and ran to my room.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

It's time to change schools. Now I'm going to be the freak of the school and I can't be that again. So I don't have parents, lots of people don't have parents or a parent. Can I just go far, far, far, away and die? That sounds perfect.

Knock, knock. "Hey Blair, can I come in?" I heard at the door. "It's Reid." I went to the door, but hesitated to open it for a second. "You don't have to open the door but just wanted to say that, Mr. Rudd shouldn't have done that to you. That's your personal life and no one should have to know that unless you want them to." He went silent after saying that.

I swung the door open and said, "Since when does the Player have a sweet side?"

"It only comes out when I need the door opened," he coyly stated. A smirk crept onto his face as a smile crept onto mine. "May I come in?" he asked sweetly. I stepped out of the way and gestured with my head for him to come in. "Are you okay?" he asked taking a seat at my desk. I closed the door behind me and leaned against it.

"I'm fine. I just was caught off guard." I made my way to my bed and collapsed on it as attractively as I could, which was probably not that attractive. "Aren't you supposed to be in class?" I asked looking at the clock.

"I like to live dangerously," he answered placing his hands behind his head.

"Oh yeah, because skipping class is so dangerous," I joked.

"Do you mind me asking you something?" Reid asked. I nodded my head. His forehead wrinkled like he was thinking about how to ask me his question. His eyes still shined bright blue. "How do you go here if you don't have parents?" He looked up at me like he genuinely wanted to know but then his expression changed to like he was scared that he said the wrong thing.

"I just did really well in school and I was able to get a scholarship here because of my grades. And as soon as I find a job, I'll be able to get emancipated from the state and take care of myself." I looked at him who looked confused almost.

"So you're a nerd?" he teased.

"Yes, I'm a nerd." He laughed as I stuck my tongue out at him.

"And I'm a player?" he asked.

"Oh definitely a player," I teased this time.

"As long as I'm just your player." That almost came out really, really cute.

"Oh you'll have to get in line, Player," I gloated in a joking manner.

"Is that so?" he laughed. He took a pillow from my bed and threw it at me in which I squealed. I threw it back at him resulting in a really adorable laugh escaping from him.

"Thanks for coming over," I said quietly.

"Anything for my friends," he replied quietly too. We looked at each other in silence. It wasn't uncomfortable. It was almost comfortable.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Author's Notes:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story! If you liked it, feel free to give this chapter a vote and/or comment. I would love to hear what you guys think. See you at the next chapter!

- Impact