Chapter 35

Chapter 35:

For the first time in a long time, I had a very productive day. I was able to get to all my classes, finish assignments, secure my job at Nikki's as a bartender, get the paperwork filled out and submit it to the Provost. And it was only 3:30pm. With enough time to change out of my unpleasant uniform into something more comfortable and, I headed to the library in my leggings and oversized sweatshirt.

It was getting colder and colder out as the days went by, reminding me that soon the holiday season would be upon us. Not my favorite season, if I'm being really honest.

Yay...

Before going to find Chase, I made myself return the book I borrowed when I had first arrived at the school, in fear that I would forget and have it forever. Once that was done, I noticed there were a lot of students here, studying together. It was silent, for the most part, but everyone was definitely hitting the books hard. As I glanced around, I found the top of Chase's head, his nose deep in his textbook and notes, looking like he was going to just submerge himself into the text, if he could.

"Hey," I whispered, coming up to him, grabbing his attention. He looked up at me, his frown lines being very prompt between his brows. "Not going well?" I asked, taking a seat across from him.

"Just wondering when we even learned any of this," he whispered back. He was still in his uniform, his blue blazer hanging on the chair and his tie pulled to be loose around his neck. His hair was messy, like he had been running his hands through it, a lot.

I organized all my notebooks and textbooks, prepping myself for a long study session. We didn't really talk at all as we studied. I looked through my notes and the textbook, going through the study guides that were given to us in class. I was on a roll, remembering things and realizing I did retain a lot of what we had been taught. It was just way back in my memory.

It was all going well until giggling echoed through the entire library. It distracted everyone, pulling our attention away from our studies to the source. There was a table full of girls. They were surrounding someone, flipping their hair, trying to look cute. I tried to figure out who it was, the only thing I could see was a hand, covered in fingerless gloves.

It couldn't be...

But it is, isn't?

And it was. It was Reid. He was sitting there, his laptop open, writing in his notes and typing away. His mouth was moving but his eyes stayed glued to his computer to screen. The girls would laugh at whatever he was saying.

The girls just sat there, looking like they were studying but just stared at him. I shook my head, realizing now that I was staring at him and went back to looking at my notes. It was strange. I had never noticed that groups of girls would flock to him. Most of the time we were always together in a group but I had never seen him by himself. One of the girls wrapped her arms around his, hugging his bicep, looking up at him batting her eyes away. He didn't seem to mind. He actually smiled.

That twisting feeling in my stomach returned, like my insides were a towel and it was bring rung out. I hated this feeling and I didn't know why I was having them. All I knew was that it was getting in the way of my studying.

"I think my head is going to explode," Chase sighed, shutting his textbook close and leaning back in his chair.

"I thought senior year was supposed to be a breeze," I chuckled, deciding that a break was best for the both of us.