Chapter 21

Chapter 21:

The boys laughed before Caleb and Pogue started down the stairs. I turned to Reid and Tyler who gestured for me to go before them.

"Welcome to Hell," Reid whispered in my ear, while I took my time down the spiral staircase, making sure not to get close to the candles. Catching on fire wouldn't be a fun thing.

The lower we got, a room revealed itself, filled with old worn down bookcases and tables of items covered in dust and cobwebs. In the center of the room there was what looked like a mystical fire pit, with four seat like stones around it, their distance equally apart. The closer I got to the circle, the more I noticed the detailing within the circle. There were writings and symbols carved into the floor. The crevasses of the carvings were filled with old dried up herbs. I could tell that one of them was lavender.

"So are we going to keep calling this Hell or are you going to tell me what this place is now?" I asked.

"This is what we call our Covenant Lair," Tyler said proudly, walking past me and standing in front of one of the stones.

"Covenant Lair?" Looking towards the bookcase, the Pogue commanded a thick book towards him. It floated with ease finding its place above the fire pit. The rest of the group found their places at their seats and in unison, they took a seat, lighting the wood in the pit on command.

I was closest so Reid and in one fluid motion, he took me into his lap and held me close. I gave him a look, almost surprised but then I remembered that it was Reid and I shouldn't expect anything less. He gave an innocent look followed by a smirk but I couldn't help but smile at. Directing my attention at the rest of the group, I watched as their faces mask with tension and stress.

"Okay, so what's going on, seriously?" I asked, turning serious and letting my concern show. Looking over at one of the bookcases, Pogue's eyes looked as if there was a ring of fire that pushed its way out of the center of his pupil. I took that as a sign he was just a little of magic.

Out from the bookcase came a thick, old, copper plated book that floated its way to the center of the put, hovering itself above the roaring fire. There must have been over a thousand pages in that book, it was big. Engraved into the copper cover was writing but I couldn't read it from where I was.

"This is our Damnation," Caleb stated, nodding his head at the book. "It was created and passed down from our ancestors, the founders of our family," his deep voice rumbled as he spoke. "It holds everything that the generations before experience with our powers and what happened to them during their time alive within the Covenant,"

I really wanted to make a remark about them being in a boy band but I knew better. This definitely was not the time or place for me to continue with my smart ass comments.

"The five founding families gave themselves this name, swearing themselves as brothers. Loyal to one another and always keeping each other safe," Tyler added.

"Our ancestors fled England during the witch hunt. They decided that it was too dangerous to stay so they fled here to Ipswich and built this as their safe haven from prosecution," Pogue added. I looked all around taking in how old this place really was. How much history was contained within just these walls. "The reason we brought you here was because we found something."

"What would that be?" I asked, nervous to know what the answer was.

"We come from a long line of first born sons. Our fathers don't have siblings, their fathers didn't have siblings, and so on. It has always been males within the Covenant. There was never a report of any second children being born into the five founding families. Or any daughters," Caleb stated.