Chapter 74

Chapter 74:

We pulled into the student parking lot. Everyone was walking around, talking, and making their way inside the building. The parking lot had returned to normal, just being a regular old parking lot with no evidence of a party happening a few days ago. My heart raced as my mind went a million miles a second thinking of every possible scenario that could happen as soon as I stepped foot outside this car. Best case scenario, no one paid any attention to me and it was like I didn't exist. Everything else, worst case scenario. The absolute worst case scenario, I get kicked out of school or go to jail or both.

After reaching out to some of his swim teammates, Reid confirmed and assured me that Kira was mostly fine, with a small concussion, a broken nose, and some cuts. He said if I didn't have my healing abilities, I would probably have it worse than her. There was no way that I wouldn't be getting into trouble or getting suspended or something over this fight.

I hadn't realized that I was bouncing my leg so hard until Reid placed his clothed hand on my knee, soothingly rubbing and getting my attention.

"Don't worry too much. You're not alone," he smiled. I went to argue but he cut me off. "Like we talked about, if anything happens, you text me or call me. I'll be there."

He was right. We went through every possible scenario this morning as I tried to get out of returning to school. Reid being the little diabolical genius that he is, had an answer for each one of my concerns which resulted in me having to return.

"And if I get arrested?" I retorted.

"Then here," he said, opening the center console and pulling out a pen. He pulled my hand to him, lifted the sleeve of my jacket, and jolted something on my arm before clicking the pen close. I looked at it and it was his phone number. "I'll accept the charges," he happily answered.

"You're hilarious," I sarcastically said. I glared at him as he laughed, and shoved my sleeve down, returning my gaze back to the parking lot. I let out a heavy sigh, feeling the panic setting in me. Suddenly, there was a wave of magic that washed over me, that didn't belong to me. I looked at Reid, checking his eyes to see if they were black.

"What?"

"Someone used," I answered, looking around through the car windows to see if I could see either Tyler, Caleb or Pogue out in the parking lot. Reid did the same but we couldn't find any of them. "Weird," I muttered.

"Maybe your range to feel it is growing or maybe they are in between cars?" Reid questioned.

"Maybe," I agreed, though there was something in me telling me I shouldn't fully believe it. The magic surge lingered in me. It was stronger, different from when the boys would use it.

Maybe it's just theirs growing too?

Yeah that has to be it.

I turned back to Reid but saw him tensely looking out the window, across the lot to the entrance of the building. I followed his gaze and saw he was looking at Chase, who was holding the door open for some people before entering the building himself.

I grabbed Reid's hand and he looked at me, worry in his eyes. "Looks like he is here," he said.

"Good. It means I will be able to talk to him today," I confidently said. "I'll get it done and over with." Weirdly enough, that was something I wasn't nervous about. I knew he would probably not want to be friends anymore or it would be weird but it would be one less thing on my mind.

Reid became shy again, looking down as he asked, "Will... will you tell me after you've told him?" For someone who exudes confidence, there was definitely a part of him that was afraid of getting hurt, a part of him he wouldn't let anyone else see but now was slipping through with his emotions. I don't know where that hurt came from but I didn't want to add to it.