Chapter 56

Chapter 56:

It felt like a sack of bricks was thrown into my chest and was weighing my heart down. I had stormed off, "like I do best", according to Pogue. I could feel my powers aching to be released. Everything Pogue had said replayed in my head over and over and over again. How could he say those things?

Lillian's crazed laughter reverberated in the walls of my mind. She was happy she was being proven right. It was hard to push her out as she sometimes slipped through the mental walls I was trying to keep up. It was strange that was hearing her so clearly while I was awake but that was something I would have to deal with later.

I turned the corner of the hall and abruptly collided into someone. "Watch where you're going!" I growled. I accidentally let my anger slip on the poor soul who happened to be in my presence.

"Oh, I'm sorry," a familiar voice spoke. I looked up and saw Chase looking down at me concerned.

Once again, I spoke without thinking. "Where the hell have you been?"

"I was-," he started.

"You were what? You've been gone for days. You just left without saying anything?" I ranted. He didn't say anything. Realizing that I had taken my anger out on him, I covered my mouth and took a step away from him. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said any of that. I-," I started to explain.

"It's okay," he whispered taking a step closer to me. Tears threatened to fall and expose everything I was feeling. "I heard what happened."

"How?" I croaked. Was he in the cafeteria and I just didn't notice him.

Pulling out his phone, he showed me the video of what happened. Some dumbass decided to record Pogue and I's fight and post it all over Myspace and YouTube. I was horrified and embarrassed, my face felt like it was on fire. It was bad enough that people in the cafeteria had witnessed this but now everyone in the school and beyond was going to see what happened.

"He was out of line for saying any of that," Chase said, trying his best to comfort me. "They don't get it. They don't know what it is like. You are not selfish," Surprisingly, it made me feel a little better hearing that from Chase. He understood. He knew what it was like.

I covered my eyes with my palms. Not wanting the tears to start. Not wanting the hurt to be exposed. Chase wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close to him. His muscular chest pushed against my hands. He rested his cheek on my head, the smell of the forest and rain swirling off him. He didn't say anything. He just held me close. I tried to feel comfort that it was supposed to bring me but he didn't make me feel better.

He's not the one I wish was holding me.

Yeah but he is too preoccupied now...

Maybe I am selfish...

Maybe.

"Blair?" I heard my name being shouted down the halls. I pulled away from Chase, recognizing Reid's voice. There was pang in my chest causing me to look down the hall that I heard his voice from.

His blonde hair was the first thing I saw as he turned the corner at the opposite end of the hall. He was huffing and his pale cheeks were flushed bright red.

The first period bell rang and Chase wrapped his hand around my waist which got my attention. "We should get to class before we get in trouble for being late," he said. Not waiting for my answer, he pulled me down the hall he originally had come from. I glanced back at where Reid and was already walking away.

Maybe I should leave...

There were whispers and people pointing all day long. Some people snickered as I walked the halls and some gave me looks of pity.