Chapter 50

Chapter 50:

And like that, midterms were amongst us. I was absolutely going into everyone of my tests knowing nothing. Had I studied? No. Had I missed a lot of classes? Yes. Was I going to get kicked out of the school? Absolutely. I was already prepared to fail every single one of my tests. It was nice going to a prep academy and almost getting out of the system, but I might have to return to Kansas and live there until I turn eighteen.

By the end of the school day, my brain was fried. I bullshitted everything but things seemed vaguely familiar so there was only a little hope that I performed a miracle.

I looked for Chase in our last class, but he never showed up. I hadn't seen him the last couple days which concerned me since he seemed completely fine the last time I saw him. Hopefully he was okay and didn't get found out. I started to walk out my class when my professor pulled me aside and handed me a note from Provost Higgins stating he needed to see me immediately.

I'm screwed.

Time to start packing the bags.

"Blair!" I heard my name being called. I looked down the hallway and Caleb was waiting for me. He was by himself which was unusual as he is typically with the boys or Sarah.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked, walking up to him. "Don't you have practice?"

"I asked coach if I could have the day off. Are you busy right now?" he asked. He was straight to the point, which I had learned that meant there was something on his mind.

"I have to go have an unpleasant conversation with the provost but after that I am free, at least until my shift at Nicky's," I told.

"Can we talk after your meeting?" His forehead was wrinkled and he looked tense. He swayed side to side nervously. I had never seen him like this. Caleb was usually very grounded and calm. He was the level headed, thoughtful, extremely sure person and this was not like him.

"Of course. Want to come with me to the office? I'm pretty sure I am getting kicked out of the school so it shouldn't be a long meeting," I half joked.

Nodding his head and following me, he asked, "why would you be getting kicked out?"

I did not like being in the office. It felt old and stale with a heaviness of doom. The provost sat across from me at his large wooden desk. He examined my file that transferred over with me. Since this was a private academy and basically a boarding school, he was considered the adult that was responsible for me in this time.

"Miss Salvatore, I heard from the state in regard to your emancipation," he started but let a long pause develop.

What is he trying to do? Build suspense?

"Did you?" I said, trying to get him to continue speaking.

"Yes. Now tell me, have you been in contact with some blood relatives of yours?" he asked, placing his hands on his desk in a folded position.

"I did find out that Pogue Perry is my biological brother and I have met my biological parents, but I assure you, they want nothing to do with me," I explained.

"I see. Do they know that you are seeking emancipation?" he asked.

"Pogue knows but I doubt his parents do. I don't talk to them," I reiterated.

"I can't imagine how hard it must be to find them after all this time. The reason I am asking is because since you have been in contact with your biological family, your parents in particular, that puts a small dilemma in the process," he told.

"What kind of dilemma?" I asked nervously. "And I would appreciate it if you would just out right say it. That way I can better understand," I added.

"The state sent over documents that you need to get your biological parents to sign. In a way, it is there way of waving their rights completely. It seems there was some mix up on your paperwork when you were... given up... and their names were never on anything. Now that you have found them, they would need to sign the papers and we would need to get it submitted."