Chapter 23

Chapter 23:

I couldn't sit still in class. No matter which way I tried, my burns would sting with the slightest touch. Chase had offered to hold my bag while we walked to our next class. Usually I would deny the offer, but the pain was too much at this point, that I let him. He smiled his sweet smile and walked me to class. He didn't question why I was in pain, but did his best to make me laugh to forget it. I thanked him and urged him to quickly get to class before he was late, but he did not care for a moment of being late.

Entering the classroom, before I had a chance to sit down, the professor of the class stopped me and handed me a slip of paper. I was being summoned to the Provosts office. This wasn't going to be good. I could fill it in the pit of my stomach. I was excused from class and I slowly, but surely made my way down the empty halls to the office.

I was immediately escorted into his office, where he sat waiting for me. He was in a serious mood. His hands folded as I entered. He gestured with his head for me to take a seat right across from him, his desk being what separated us.

"How are you doing, Miss Salvatore?" he asked, sitting up straight, opening a file with my name and picture stapled to it.

"I've been better, if I'm being honest," I stated. I didn't care to sugar coat things and appear as if I wasn't in need of a new body.

"I would like to cut to the chase, it'll save us both time. I have been told by your professors that you have recently been missing classes. Is there a certain reason for that?" he asked, not looking up at me but continued to flip through my massive file.

"I've just been dealing with some health issues. Sometimes it is hard to get out of bed," I answered, not wanting to give away any real answers.

"I wasn't made aware of this when your social worker had sent over your files. Is there any doctors note?" he asked.

"No there isn't. I didn't start getting them this bad until starting school. I just think it is the stress of getting used to everything." I was completely still. I made no movements, hoping that it would make me seem as if I was telling the complete truth. He nodded, but didn't say a word about it, but decided to move on to what he really brought me in here for.

"How has the job searching been going for you?" he asked, holding on to a piece of paper. Then it hit me. He knew that I had forgotten. "I mustn't remind you that the terms of your acceptance here is based on your emancipation. All you have to do is prove that you have a job and you'll be complete. If this does not get done, then I will have to expel you from the school," he said, placing the agreement I had signed in front of me.

"I understand," I stated. He nodded and took the paperback.

"I sympathize with your struggle to be adjusting to this new place but there are strict rules that need to be followed not just by you but also by us as a school. I would hate to see you go. I really believe that you can thrive here," he said, somewhat softening up. "Let me know if there is anything I can do with you so that you may be successful here." And with that, I was dismissed with more stress added to my shoulder.

I know I should have gone straight back to class after my meeting with the Provost but my feet took me straight back to my dorm and plopped myself on my bed. Hitting something hard as I landed, I shuffled through my bedsheets to find a book. Turning it so that I could get a good look at it, I saw that it was the book that I had checked out of the library back about the Sons of Ipswich. Flipping through the pages, it was interesting to see how of the book started off accurate and then spiraled out of control, the author taking its own liberties and rolling with it. Maybe it was done on purpose to preserve the time period but make sure no one would find out of the truth about the boys and their family history.