Chapter 11

Chapter 11:

            I did what I thought was best. I ran. I flew out the door and ran into the woods surrounding the house. I could hear my name being called in the distance but it didn't stop me. It was all too much. The cold night made me run even faster. I didn't really know which way I was going or which way was home but I hoped that I would end up somewhere familiar, just to catch my breath. I don't remember arriving back to the dorms, but I somehow made it. I stood outside in the cold, looking at the moonlight building. That's when it all hit me.

            "They're my blood?" Hearing myself say it made me sick to my stomach. It wasn't true. It can't be true. It made no sense. How? Why? They're mistaken. Delusional! "It's not true." I repeated that over and over until it stuck. It made more sense than anything. I finally let myself into the building and shivered my way to my room. It was just as cold in the hallways as it was outside. I wrapped my arms around myself trying to keep warm.

            The hairs on my neck stood up. I felt a breeze. I slowly looked behind me over my shoulder making sure no one was there.

            "Boo!" I jumped, what seemed like a mile back away from the dark figure in front of me. My heart pounded like it was trying to escape my body and run. I took in some air and looked at my potential attacker.

            "Chase?!" I almost yelled. He started to laugh and walk towards me, opening his arms up to wrap around me. I swatted his hands away from me and moved away from him.

            "I'm so sorry, but that was so funny!" he laughed, trying again to come close to me.

            "Damn it! No, stay away from me. You're mean!" he laughed and gave me a pouty face which I couldn't resist.

            "I'm sorry!" he said clearing his throat. "No I really am. I didn't mean to give you a heart attack," he said holding in the remaining laughter. He inched closer to me, hoping to hug me and I gave in. He wrapped his warm arms around me and held me close. I didn't realize how much I needed that. "What happened to you? You left me by myself on the dance floor. That hurts you know," he smirked. It took me a minute to realize what had happened earlier that night. We were at Nicky's and Chase and I were dancing. Then Reid and Aaron were fighting and I followed the boys.

            "Oh! Right, sorry. I ended up not feeling good and the boys took me away from the bar so I could feel better," I answered without revealing too much that had happened tonight. "I didn't mean to leave you hanging, Chase," I said looking up at him. His arms were still wrapped around me, providing me comfort. I honestly didn't want him to let me go.

            "It's okay. Are you feeling better?" I nodded in reply. He cracked a small smile on his face and loosened his grip around me. "Do you want to hang out for a bit? I know it's late but we could continue the fun. I don't have a roommate if that helps any."

            I thought about it. I knew that Sarah and Kate would either already be in the room or end up coming to the room asking questions about what had happened. Unless they already were told, which I wouldn't be surprised. I didn't want to deal with them right now. I didn't know what I would have said to them anyways. "Sure," I responded. He pulled away and took my hand in his. Once we reached his dorm, we sat in his bed and watched some TV. His shoulder touched mine but that's all that touched. He didn't try anything with me, though a little part of me thought he would. A commercial started to play and I had a question for him.

            "Do you ever think about your parents?" I blurted. I didn't know how to ask it delicately. He seemed a little taken aback by my question. "Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

            "No, it's okay," he said running his hand through his hair. "I think about my adoptive parents. I miss them sometimes. I try not to. I sometimes wonder about my biological parents. You know, who were they? Why didn't they keep me? Did they want me?" I could relate to what he was saying. "I think everyone that was given up thinks about that," he said taking ahold of my hand. I looked down at us holding hands. I didn't know how to feel about it. It felt nice but... I don't know.

            "Did something happen?" he asked after a few moments of silence. I lied and shook my head.

            "No, I just- I sometimes forget that I'm not alone. As sad as that sounds. Sometimes I forget that I'm not the only one," I said trying to sound convincing. It was a terrible lie but Chase seemed to buy it.

            "Hey, if you ever need someone to talk to about this stuff, I'm always here to listen!" he cheerfully said. I smiled at him, feeling thankful for having a friend like him. I decided that it was time for me to head to my room. It was late and everything was hitting me at once. My head started to pound again and I knew that it wasn't going to pleasant. I said my goodnights to Chase and quickly went to my room. I collapsed on my bed exhausted. I looked over at the door realizing that I forgot to lock it. Too tired to get up, I focused on it and the flipped itself. I closed my eyes, hoping that everything would just back to normal. But then I realized, I'm not even normal.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

            The next couple days, I found comfort in Chase. He was with me most of the time. When he wasn't, I would find a corner to be on my own. I wasn't even hanging out with Kate and Sarah. The only time I would see them was in passing, in class or at night in the room when they both had fallen asleep. I made sure to not be around when they were going to bed. Sometimes I would make eye contact with one of the boys and they would try to come over to me, but I walked away from them before they were even close to me. The only person that wasn't trying to talk to me was Pogue. I couldn't even imagine what was going through his mind. His parent's springing what ever this was on to him randomly. It was best that we didn't interact.

            At least that's what I thought. Someone else didn't agree with this idea.

            I was minding my own business walking to class. Suddenly, I get yanked into a dark small room.

            "What the-"

            "Shush and listen to me," he said to me. I could smell his cold minty breath as it hit my face.

            "Reid?" said confused. My eyes readjusted to the darkness of the janitor's closet we were in. Oh great! Fantastic! This isn't going to look suspicious at all...

            "Oh miss beautiful does remember me!" he sarcastically. I gave him a look which I really hope he saw in this darkness. The only light that filled the room was the light coming in through the cracks of the door. It was enough to illuminate most of Reid's perfect face.

            "I'm busy. I have to get to class!" I said trying to leave. He grabbed my waist and pulled me away from the door and pushed me against the wall, placing both hands beside my head. "Reid!" I exclaimed.

            "You need to listen to me!" he gritted. I mentally took a step back. I wasn't expecting that from him. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it come off that way," he softened after seeing my reaction. He suddenly threw his arms around me and held me close. His forehead rested on my shoulder before he turned his head into the curve of my neck. Something's wrong. Something is really wrong. I quickly wrapped one arm around him and placed my other hand on his head.

            "Reid, what's wrong?" I asked concerned. My insides twisted and pain in my gut. I didn't know what was causing this. I was feeling fine before.

            "I need someone," he mumbled against my neck. The pain in my gut increased as if I was feeling his pain.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Author's Notes:

Thank you so much for  taking the time to read my story! If you liked it, feel free to give  this chapter a vote and/or comment. I would love to hear what you guys  think. See you at the next chapter!

- Impact