Our Duty Ends with Death

Hey.

Slightly rushed, but that is to be expected. Enjoy regardless.

Let's get back to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't like this one bit."

"Why are they just staring at us?"

Penance sighed and stared at the city, their home in the distance. Even at this distance, the glow of the fires was rising from the city. Hours after the city was evacuated with the support of the Farsight Enclave, the sounds of artillery began, much closer than when they attacked Palermo.

Now, Penance stood atop a small hill, watching a massive column of civilians slowly march away from the slowly falling city. The soldiers of the Enclave in the strange armour they wore when in Lungmen walked beside them as protection.

But they looked and acted more like parole officers.

Very few faces could be seen among the Enclave, but none looked tense or worried. They walked casually and were more interested in watching the civilians than the potential threat behind them.

Almost as if there was no threat at all.

Penance's plan to send the civilians in smaller groups to safety was thrown out when the enemies that wiped out Palermo could be seen on the city's outskirts. They had no time to be cautious.

"Is that everyone?" Penance asked upon seeing the end of the collum of moving bodies and turned to one of the police officers beside her 

"Most of them, yeah."

"Most?" Penance raised an eyebrow at the man.

"Not everyone wanted to leave, Madam Penance..."

Penance expected such a thing, but it still hurt to know those who stayed behind were doomed.

"How many?"

"... A few thousand at least."

"Understood," Penance nodded and looked back to the city.

"We tried our best to convince them, but-"

"If everyone agreed on everything, then the world wouldn't be the way it is, yes?" Penance and the policeman turn to the new voice.

"Commander Farsight!" The officer looks at him with awe.

Farsight nodded at the man with a small smile before gazing upon Penance.

"Do I get a hello, Darling? or will you keep glaring at me?"

"Why can't your forces engage the enemy while we escape? With the firepower you have brought," Penance gestures to the Hammerhead tanks and battlesuits hovering/walking around, "You would most likely put an end to this and protect the city, heck, even all of Siracusa!"

"Miss Penance, my soldiers are here to protect and escort you... Not sacrifice themselves."

"But..."

"Enough! My soldiers are not cannon fodder," Farsight steps up to the Mature Lupo and stares coldly at her. Penance was not one to be spoken to in such a manner, and she glared up at the insufferable man.

Civilians and soldiers walking by looked at the pair weirdly.

"Is that, Miss Texas?" One of the soldiers looked at the pair and whispered to her fellow soldiers.

"No! It isn't, idiot!" Was the harsh response she got in return.

"Isn't the Commander dating Miss Texas?"