Chapter 3

I checked myself in the mirror one last time and made sure everything was in place. The rendezvous at the airport for Allen's business trip is my ticket to get to his good side. This is the only opportunity I have left for him to hire me. I put on my heels and wear enough perfume before I head out. I feel confident that this will turn out well. I couldn't afford not to, after I hailed a taxi and gave the driver my destination he drove quickly heading to the airport. As I sat in the backseat, I contemplated what was the reason that Allen wanted to test this Secretary role before he turned me down or hired me.

Maybe just to test our compatibility? Or test me in general? It could be the reason. I wonder if he has done something like the other applicants. I might have to confirm it with his other employees once I have a chance.

I have no idea what clients we will be meeting later too, I know I should have prepared but Allen has given almost nothing for me to draw any possibilities. I am a person who usually plans and so this is giving me major anxiety that I am shooting blind right here. I tried to breathe and calm my nerves, I just needed to make sure I'd be quick in adapting to the circumstance later, an impromptu act if I may say.

When I arrived at the airport I walked towards the gate where Allen told me to meet, I checked my watch and realized I was early. I smiled, glad that I had arrived safely, however, my happiness was short-lived when I saw Allen standing gallantly at the entrance gate looking much more sophisticated than usual. Thank God I dressed up appropriately!

He is wearing a tailor-fit suit but this time it's powder blue pants and a coat, which is not common to his usual bleak wardrobe choices. Fate is playing us, no doubt about that, my curious eyes then went to my skirt and realized our color matches!

He removed his dark sunglasses, probably horrified by the coincidence. I was waiting for a hefty comment when he smirked.

"I guess we have a similar taste" he uttered.

I blushed unable to contain what he meant. "I guess we are" I responded, testing the waters even more.

"We are early, do you want to grab some coffee first?" Paanyaya nito.

Tumango ako at sumunod sa kanyang mga yapak papunta sa isang coffee shop na nasa loob ng airport. After he placed the order, he took some paper out from his suitcase and handed it to me.

"Here's the client information we will be meeting later. Breeze through it and help me seal this deal, are you up to be my extra pair of hands and legs Geraldine?" He challenges.

"I'll take care of it Mr. Romualdez" I responded confidently.

"Good, your performance today will be the catalyst if I hire you or not in the post you are applying for, I look forward to your performance today Miss Castro" he raised his hand and gave me a handshake which I accepted without inhibition.

His hand was warm as it engulfed my palm tightly, it stayed like that for some time as if he didn't want to let go. Imahinasyon ko lang ba ito? 

I smiled, giving him the illusion of confidence while I started to delve into the papers, he handed to me. It contains the product he is trying to negotiate and the profiles of the clients we will meet later. Pretty much essential information to make a good first impression.

When we were onboard the plane, we were ushered by the flight attendant to the business class area and were guided to our seats. I carefully studied Allen, but he was too preoccupied with other things, he was quick to get his laptop and started to work on some reports he needed to complete. We were silent during the whole flight heading to our destination which I appreciate honestly, my stomach started to rumble from the panic while I absorbed all the information I could from the limited time he had given me. I tried to console myself slowly by taking deep breaths.