Chapter 17

A few more weeks passed, and I felt a little stronger than before so I started to take my therapy with all seriousness, my newly found motivation was enough for me to try harder. The scar and pain of the bullet that marked me serve as a reminder that I still have an unfulfilled mission in this world, it is my responsibility to make sure I can accomplish it. Physical therapy is not child's play, it is horrendously painful that sometimes I want to quit, but my goal always crept and that gives me the motivation to move forward no matter how difficult it is.

Part of my routine is visiting Allen in the ICU from time to time and making sure to check on him hoping that I'll get a glimpse of him waking up anytime soon unfortunately there is still no progress in his condition though the doctor is saying that there might be a slight hope since there is still activities detected on his brain but it might deteriorate if he won't wake up  soon. Time is of the essence and Allen needed it more than anything else.

"We are continuing to monitor any progress on him but for now this is beyond the realm of medicine. I am not sure if you are religious, but I recommend that we pray harder for him to come back to us" Saad ng doctor ng minsang kausapin ako nito. 

In the past I used to believe in God, sino ba naman ang hindi kung ang magulang mo ay nakapaka relihiyoso, I used to live by the doctrine of Catholicism and have been a pious servant of the church, but all that changed when my father died. I cannot understand how God allowed evil people to roam around in society unleashed while the honest one dies and suffers. That was the start of my faith crumbling, and now that I heard this advice from Allen's doctor, I felt unworthy of asking for His favor. God wouldn't listen to my prayers after I abandoned Him for good.

Looking at Allen now I start to ponder that money means nothing if you are fighting death as the enemy. Life is short and unexpected. It's fragile and out of our control. I whisk the negative thoughts away and I whispered to Allen instead. "I am here waiting for you Allen... please come back."

I sighed deeply, habang papalabas na ako sa ICU ay bilang napatigil ang aking mga hakbang at muli akong napalingon sa kinaroroonan ni Allen and with a heavy heart I bid him goodbye. I went back to my room and thought that something was bothering me, a nagging voice of doubt on how come hindi ko nakikitang may bumibisita kay Allen all this time na nasa ospital ito? Nasaan ang mga magulang nito? Kapatid? O kaya si Viviene? Surely, they have been informed of this incident, right? Ngayon ko napagtanto na wala talaga akong alam sa buhay nito. We know every inch of our bodies but never the details that hold the most importance about our life. There's no other person to blame here but me.

I walked towards my hospital window and just stared at the afternoon sun. The orange glare cloths the entire scenery. I instinctively touched the scar near my shoulder where the bullet hit me. I closed my eyes, and the voice of my killer echoed my brain. Remembering the details of it. My eyebrows narrowed.

You deserve this. 

 snap my eyes open and sweat slowly formed my forehead. Could he probably have said that to me, or did he mean it to Allen? I cannot point out the name of someone who might harbor hatred against me to the verge of wanting me dead. It couldn't be Lien, right? I mean yeah, she is jealous but she's not in the position to act on her feelings towards Allen apart from her there's no one I can think of who would want to punish me, a voice prompted in my mind, would Ram hurt me? Napailing ako, the guy is worried about my well-being but here I am doubting his innocence. How cruel am I? 

This only means that the intent to kill is directed to Allen and I am just collateral damage in that scenario, I couldn't begin to count how many business dealings he might have encountered that landed him an enemy in the process but what's pressing is the fact that Louie is a more recent enemy. I remember his threat and how menacing his words were when Allen kicked him out for good. Could it be him? It's a possibility. If so, Louie Romero is a dangerous man. What I need to figure out is why Allen acted that way towards Louie, what did he find out that he was already ear shut off allowing Louie an opportunity to explain? That could be the key to unveiling this mystery.