Chapter 21

The weeks passed by, and it seemed we were in this bubble as Allen slowly but surely recovered his health, he started to go through his therapy wanting to gain back the muscle mass he had lost while nursing his wound and more laboratories to see no damages on his brain and other organs. I was there almost every day trying to make sure I could give him what he needed, and he welcomed the pampering I was offering with open arms and heartfelt gratitude.

"Now I know why sometimes being a patient has its perks, I surely am enjoying this with you" he jokingly said while throwing his boyish wink at me, and instead of smiling I wanted to shed a tear. He is back; his snarky typical remark and dark humor are here again.

I immediately took a step forward and embraced him gently. "I miss you Allen" I whispered to him. He responded by kissing me on the cheek.

"And you have been more aggressive lately too! I like it" he added with laughter. "By the way I wanted to kiss you right now can I do that?" He whispered.

I blushed. Oh yes, please! 

He then moved his head closer once again and kissed my lips softly. His warm breathing fans my face and I sense a familiar desire building within me. 

Seriously? We are in the hospital for goodness' sake! 

The thought prompted but I didn't mind and so I deepened the kiss wanting to feel more connected with him.

"Thank you for taking care of me" he uttered with sincerity when he finally moved an inch away.

Noooo! I don't want the kiss to end. Came the voice in my head.

I gulped and said instead. "Ano ka ba, no need to thank me" I smiled at him while I touched the wound that penetrated his flesh.

"Does it still hurt?" I asked.

He shakes his head. "I heard that you have been shot too..." he inhaled some air. "I'm sorry that I wasn't able to protect you." He squeezed my hand firmly.

Napailing ako. "It's not your fault Allen, I am not sure if this is the right time to share this with you. I wanted you to fully heal first before I give you the ugly truth" I hesitated.

"I am a big boy, Geraldine; I can handle the truth no matter how contorted that is." He assured me and once again I could feel the tight grip of his hand warming my skin, caressing my arm up and down.

I took some air, dropping my gaze before looking him in the eye. "Louie is dead" I finally uttered. "And it turned out that he was the one who shot us in the beach house". I watched Allen's expression as it showed pure horror and disappointment as he listened to what I was telling him.

"I- I don't know what to say... I can't believe it. Louie did that to us? How did he know our location? Only the family knows about that property..." he uttered softly.

I touched his hand wanting to share the heaviness he felt. "What did you discover about Louie that made you act the way you did the last time you were in the office Allen?" I asked the very thing that bugs me the most.

He stood up habang naka alalay ako sa kanya.

He pursed his lips trying to remember that incident. "I had discovered some proof that can persecute Louie for fraud. I spent weeks taking all accounts and the finances to my lawyers as I gathered some disturbing discrepancies to the revenue reports." Saad nito habang nakatayo. That probably was the same file that caught my attention when I did my digging.

Of course, I can't tell him that yet. 

"It turned out Louie has been stealing some money undetected by offering the clients some sort of other deals, these are different percentages from the original contract we did offer for them. When you caught him with Michelle Cinco that wasn't his first rodeo apart from other things he did to manipulate and steal money from the company." He narrated, and he said it calmly, but I could hear the tension in his voice, Allen truly despises deceit.