Chapter 19

I heard a loud howling not far from where I was, and I felt all sense leave me. This is their territory, and I am an outsider of course they would be threatened by my presence. The forest is even scarier at night with multiple ghastly sounds that I cannot point out what exactly, the sound of crickets and chirping and all other things makes every fiber of my being scream with fear.

Believe me oh king of the jungle, it is not my intention to be here. Spare my life, please! I uttered a silent prayer.

Should I be climbing a tree to stay safe? Being on high ground is probably more guarded than staying on foot. I should have paid more attention to TV shows on how to survive the wild instead of my usual crime documentaries. Now it's just too late! The temperature started to drop, and I felt the chill penetrating through my bones. Either I get eaten, shot, or die of hypothermia, the options keep on piling up.

Welcome to my life!

I heard another growl nearby and once again I was in panic mode. I tried to find a steady trunk that could support my weight, so I walked a little further into the woods hoping and praying that no predators were nearby. My cold hands started to feel numb probably from the temperature or my fear, either way, it did not make any difference. I am lost in this darkness, blind as a bat. I tried to clasp it tightly introducing some heat while I carefully navigated my footing all the way further. I can hear the dried leaves as I take each step worried that it might alert anyone in the area, so I made sure to be as silent as possible. 

When I found a perfect spot where I could climb on, I momentarily paused and wondered if there were other dangerous animals up ahead. The blackness around me just makes it impossible to see the danger that lurks within, but I'll take my chances. I was about to step on the trunk when a strong pair of hands pulled me down and made me roll over on the solid ground. Thinking that I had been captured again by Louie I attempted to scream so loud in my last attempt to fight for my life, but his hands went directly to my mouth shutting all sounds that I may produce. His hands covered it well so that my shouts were left unheard. I tried to fight, hitting him in the chest and kicking him with all my might.

I'll die fighting. No matter what! 

"Geraldine, it's me. Calm down please..." Ram whispered gently. "I am here, you are safe"

I gasped realizing who it was and in that quick moment, all my warning bells rang like crazy, danger, screaming into my head. I pushed Ram with all my might. I'm scared of why he is even here. Did Louie and Ram plan all these to torture me even more?

"What's wrong? I stop you to save your life. Look what's waiting for you up above" He took a flashlight and pointed up ahead as I tried to adjust my eyes to see it more clearly and finally, I saw what he meant, there indeed was a massive serpent curling motionless in the big old trunk witnessing the exchange of what's happening between Ram and me.

"It could crush your bones and serve you as its meal" he added to the graphic image playing in my mind.

Biglang nagsitayuan ang aking balahibo. That was a close call.

I walked further away wanting to keep a safe distance from the snake and Ram. I had already covered a few steps when he called out. "Wait for me." Anito sa is akin.

"Why are you here Ram?" I asked harshly.

"What do you mean? I am trying to rescue you" he explained.

"How did you know I am here? How did you know that Louie abducted me in this godforsaken place? Unless you are part of this elaborate trap. Are you working with Louie? Are you here to give me hope so you can inflict more torture on me? Is that what you want?" I am losing it, maybe because of fear, hunger, dehydration, and desperation, and now I am finally letting it all out, I am not holding back. I don't care if my feelings might get hurt because of what I am saying. "You seem to know where I am every time there's an opportunity, you know me the very first time we met, and you even deliberately moved into my apartment building to get closer to me! You are a stalker!" I insisted further.