Chapter 4

Dinner was served and I cannot deny that the food was superb bath with the scenery was equally breathtaking, the candlelight dinner under the moonlight can easily be mistaken as a romantic date, of course, I know it's not a date, but the ambience is giving a different vibe. The sound of the crashing waves nearby adds to the intimacy of this experience sending a little warmth against the cold night air. I never thought I would appreciate it but I honestly did.

"Did you enjoy your meal?" Allen asked.

"I did it was delicious, thank you"

"I am glad. Are you up for a bottle of wine? I want to just relax and celebrate tonight; this is a momentum for all of us" he made his case.

Alcohol and beautiful scenery are a lethal combination. The warning bells keep on banging on my head. "Sure..." I responded eventually.

He poured me a glass and I slowly sipped it. It was light and sweet. I didn't expect it would taste this good. Allen watched as I slowly licked the liquor out of my lips.

"So why are you here with me Geraldine?" Allen asked out of nowhere momentarily catching me off guard, I felt the heat of the alcohol passing through my throat. Did I blow my cover out?

I smiled awkwardly. "What do you mean?" I clarified trying to buy myself time to think of a good excuse.

"You know that this is not typical. We don't do testing for any applicants like this, and you know that. This could even be labeled some sort of flirting or a form of seduction perhaps, do you think so?" He is testing.

I paused and weighed in his words.

"And any woman in their right mind would sense danger going alone with an employer they hardly know, so what is the real reason Geraldine Castro why are you putting this act with me?" He added.

I breathed, relieved that my secret was safe. "It's true, I wonder at first if this is how you do things in your company. But I also know that you want to test your employees and so I justified it that this might be one of your bizarre methods of knowing any possible candidates who aim to join your company, I know it's a stretch but I didn't feel any ill intent towards you Allen and so in good faith I trusted the process. I came here with a genuine goal of getting the job and working with you. I'm sorry if you feel my intention is an act but I am equally competitive as Mr. Romualdez and I don't back down to any challenges that may come my way." I narrated.

He took his glass and drank it empty while his eyes were still on me.

"You are indeed interesting..." he whispered.

The atmosphere relaxes me a bit as we continue to exchange information about each other, a typical conversation of getting to know one another without scratching the bottom of the surface. We were able to keep it professional as much as possible, avoiding dipping our toes even further.

I felt the redness slowly registering on my cheeks realizing I already had a few glasses. I am not drunk but I can already sense that I am a little tipsy. Warning bells echoed in my head again.

"Are you okay?" I heard Allen ask.

I nodded, trying to hide my weakening mind. "Mukhang medyo naparami na ang inom ko ahhh, I better stop before I fully embarrass myself"

I saw him smirk. "That would be a spectacle to see, now I am curious of what kind of embarrassing acts you might do" he fueled the thought.

"Nope, not going to happen..." I assured him.

"I book a room upstairs so we can stay for the night, should I lead you back to your room now?" He asked.

Together? I wanted to ask out of the blue but instead, I just nodded and followed him. I am a little nervous walking side by side with this man. Surely Allen won't do anything stupid, right? He knows this is going to end up a mess if he decides to cross the line of being an employer. I tried to pacify the situation in my mind.