Chapter 10

One morning I decided to come to the office early, I needed to compile the shareholder lists that Ram wanted me to check, if what they gathered was true then there was offshore money being deposited from somewhere and there should be traces of ghost receipts in the company's database, I might be able to finally confirm that Allen is behind my father's tragic death.

Suppose he is  involved in this fraud. Am I slowly doubting that he might not be related to this mess at all? Napailing ako, it's too early to say that he is innocent. 

The office floor was dead silent and only the guards were there greeting and wondering how come I was here at this early hour. I went to my desk and started to turn on the desktop while waiting for it to load I decided to go to the pantry and brew myself some fresh coffee. I momentarily paused and looked at the full glass window overlooking the entire city, the sun had not risen yet and the morning still conveys the illusion of peace but of course, things will soon get chaotic when rush hour strikes.

I was sipping my coffee and enjoying my solitude ng biglang bumukas ang pintuan at pumasok ang taong hindi ko inaasahan sa oras na iyon.

"Geraldine, why are you here so early?" Tanong ni Allen sa akin.

I felt my tongue stuck, why are you here? I wanted to ask back. But my heart felt a sudden throb, it seems that I haven't seen him much lately, it's absurd but that's how I felt. 

"I just don't want to compete for the morning traffic. I wanted a moment of peace." I answered back then stood up feeling awkward by my thoughts and was ready to walk away from the pantry ng biglang hinarang ni Allen ang katawan nito sa pintuan. Nanlaki ang aking mga mata sa ginagawa nito. He smiled warmly.

"I miss you" he uttered like it was a natural thing to say. He didn't even flinch. Either he meant it, or he is just truly a good actor.

May halong pagkairita ang aking nararamdaman when he throws these sweet words like it was nothing. After all that he did the day prior he dares to play these games with me.

Please, were you with Viviene, and now you miss me? I wanted to say.

"Allen stop playing this nonsense." I verbalized before I could even stop myself.

"Are you mad? What did I do?"

Oh please. I wanted to roll my eyes.

"Hey, hey... talk to me, what is going on?" he asked while rubbing his hands up and down my exposed arms.

"Nothing, nothing is wrong" I insisted.

"Something is wrong, you are upset, and I want to know why so I can apologize for it" he asserted further.

"I said it's nothing!" My voice raised a bit. I know I am acting crazy, but I can't help it.

"Geraldine, what did I do?" He pleaded.

I sighed with a breath of frustration. My mind battled if I should just come out clean and ask him. "Who is Viviene?" I asked as softly as I could. 

Allen looked at me with confusion and after a few seconds, he then burst into laughing making me flush with contained anger.

So, is this funny to you? I thought to myself.

"Is this why you are mad? Because you are jealous?" He called it out.

Nakasimangot ako na nakatingin sa kanyang mga mata. "I am not jealous!" No way I am going to admit that.

"Alright, alright if you say so... you are adorable" bumaba ang mga labi nito sa aking bibig ang kiss me deeply. I pushed him away.