Chapter 8

Hindi ko mawari na darating ang araw na makakasali ako sa isang company outing not to have fun but to do charitable works for the environment.

I exhaled. This is the last thing I wanted to do.

Summer vacation is just around the corner and instead of selecting activities full of relaxation and outdoor festivities for the company get-together, Allen decided to do tree planting instead.

How boring is that?

"We need to take care of our environment even more, especially now that we have an environmental crisis threatening our existence. Let's be part of the solution instead of contributing to the problem." Echoed his speech in one of our meetings.

Not everyone is thrilled with his plan, during lunch breaks people talk about what they wanted to do for the company getaway and the majority agreed that they dream of letting their hair down a little bit and wearing something provocative like bikinis! It's summer for goodness' sake!

I roll my eyes remembering how Allen was truly adamant to keep his plan in motion. He didn't budge even after multiple people recommended doing something else instead. The feedback was left unheard, he was headstrong and already fixated that this was the best thing that his employees should be doing.

We were categorized into groups and since I was the only one who was not part of a team, they decided to just add me to the group that lacked the headcount, I was assigned to the marketing department which is managed by one of the tenured members and equally feisty Lien Cantino. She's a petite woman in her late 20s and truth be told I find her pretty, her short straight hair complimented her features, she has a deep tan and voluptuous body, she's one of the popular employees in the office but she does have a mean face and it didn't help that she acts mean too, barking at her subordinates seems a normal thing for her, her sarcastic remark has been part of her charms they say, and in that early morning while we wait for the company bus to arrive heading to the tree planting location I can't help but study her even more. We are all wearing a uniform shirt blasting the company name and a catchphrase of what this activity is for. I took a moment to bring an extra pair of towels, bottled water, and an extra shirt considering the nature of what we are about to do. I also made sure to bring sunblock just to protect my skin, all these are tightly packed in my small bag. I look casual in my denim jeans and rubber shoes. Some of the team members greeted me which I warmly responded except for Lien who for the past few minutes had been sending daggers continuously to where I was standing.

What is your problem? I wanted to confront it but decided that it would be counterproductive. I decided to ignore her animosity towards me.

When the bus arrived, we were ushered inside in an orderly manner. I chose the seat in the middle near the window. I had all intentions to just blur this day out as I tried to find the pair of earbuds I brought when suddenly someone took the seat right beside me and was smiling warmly. I paused for a moment and responded to her.

"Hi, I am Kyla from the marketing department" pagpapakilala nito sa sarili.

I nodded, "I'm Geraldine, Allen's secretary" I responded.

"I know!" She giggled like a schoolgirl which made me wonder what was wrong with her.

"How is the boss? I mean mabait ba siya? How do you feel na nakikita mo siya araw-araw ng malapitan? Sobrang gwapo niya noh?!" Sunod-sunod na tanong nito.

Are you just speaking to me to gather more intel about Allen? I wanted to say but decided not to. 

I just smiled habang nagkibit ako ng balikat gesturing that my lips are sealed.