Chapter 16

Present Day right after the incident.

I heard the chaos from the people around me, there were voices and murmurs that I couldn't seem to comprehend fully. There was a sound of a siren nearby but I was unbothered by it. The world felt still or moving in slow motion. I felt calm, like a cloud of nothingness, I felt no pain or worry. I was not scared or cold, I was just there numb and unaware. Is this what the afterlife looks like?

So, would that mean that I am dead? What happened to me?

I tried to recall the events that took place but there's nothing that's prompting my mind to go back to where it started and how it ended. I wonder if I had truly lived my life to the fullest, do I have regrets? Some unfinished business? Napailing ako. Unfortunately, I can't remember. The voices around me are getting louder and louder, shushing some words that I can't decipher still, but the noises start to bother me a little bit.

Shhhhhhh Quiet! I wanted to scream. You are disturbing my peace. Leave me alone! 

I breathed as I tried to fill my lungs with air. How is that possible if I am dead? I thought about what I learned in death and the afterlife, I thought that the life beyond would be magnificent, free from worldly commitment and greed, free from any sufferings and tragedy. It makes you feel liberated from the chains of the real world. I imagined as well that when I cast my last breath someone would be there to guide me, welcoming me from what's beyond, and that it would be filled with blazing lights and a long, massive road leading to my eternal peace, but No. All I see is the darkness that seems infinite, alone in the blackness that would never end. I paused for a moment and thought, I cannot continue to wander around without any direction or purpose so I decided to stay put and wait for any signs of what I should do next. I was contemplating my next step when suddenly a jolt of pain hit me so hard that I knew I screamed so loud in my head that I probably erupted a vein. I screeched again but no voice came out. I was there sitting in the darkness terrified of how come I couldn't hear myself. I tried to utter again but I can't seem to produce any sounds at all! Did I lose my voice completely?

What is happening to me? 

The pain hit me again and I howled wanting it to stop, however, the agony just continued to escalate and I allowed myself to escape from all of it, I eventually closed my eyes as I welcomed the abyss with open arms, taking me completely.

Now I am at peace. 

One morning, I fluttered my eyes gently as I tried to concentrate on keeping it open. I felt every inch of my body screaming with torture. I then saw the white ceiling in front of me and then the pungent smell of chemicals that's so unique in hospitals. I tried to scan my surroundings again, but little movements were like torment. I attempted to speak subalit tanging ungol lamang ang lumabas sa aking bibig. Panic starts to hit me again ng biglang may isang nakangiting babae ang bumulagta sa aking harapan. She's a nurse with her white uniform and her well-tied hair.

"Welcome back to the land of the living. We almost lost you, thank God we were able to pull you back. I am your nurse for this shift, my name is Farrah at nasa hospital ka ngayon, mabuti nalang at hindi natamaan ang major organs mo though you lost a lot of blood, you are already out of danger, you're very lucky. Kaya dapat magpagaling ka ng maigi para tuluyang bumalik ang lakas mo" She uttered as I tried to understand every word, she was telling me.

"We intubate you the moment you arrive dito sa ospital kaya hindi ka makapagsalita ng tama, we will remove it since you are now breathing normally. Relax ka lang muna ha. Just press this button if you need anything" saad nito sa akin habang ipinapakita nito ang kanyang tinutukoy. I tried to nod but I couldn't move my head, it's a bizarre experience in that I have no control over my body, like a living corpse. I wanted to ponder once again what happened to me, how come she says I am lucky to be alive? And that I almost die? Who would want to hurt me? I wanted to think more but the medication was taking its effect, and I felt the heaviness of my eyelids and once again, I embraced sleep once and for all.