Chapter 20

The encounter with Louie has opened another can of worms, adding more to the mystery that we currently are facing. It was mind-blowing to me that all along this was not an independent operation, someone was pulling the strings and there I was looking like a fool, too focused on the distraction that Louie had created. I have almost lost my life multiple times now and I can sit and ponder how fragile life is, I could die anytime soon like right at this very moment. The image of my father's lifeless body when I discovered him came flashing into my mind as well as the corpse of Louie after Ram shot him, these were two dead bodies I have unfortunately witnessed in my sad miserable life adding to my trauma and unsolicited nightmares. Sometimes I wonder what's the point of all this? Yes, I wanted revenge in the beginning but seeing how things pan out this seems to be bigger than I ever expected but I can't stop now. Allen's life is at stake as well as mine. The only consolation is the fact that Ram is on our side, having a cop on our aid gives a little bit of the illusion that our life is protected.

One afternoon, I was there in Ram's apartment looking at him and Laura on the other side of the living room. I never expected this trio to happen. Who would have thought?

Right after Ram had recovered from his injuries his mission had not ended yet especially now that things were getting more complicated since I had accidentally uncovered the truth about him I became his immediate side kick there was not much argument from his superiors considering I had been feeding them information ever since but in the case of Laura, she practically forced herself in wanting to join this unusual partnership, saying that she is bored and she needed a kick of her life, sizzling it a little to keep the adrenaline pumping. Who would say such a thing? Sometimes I think Laura is a secret gangster, she even came prepared like applying for a job interview showcasing a list of valuable assets she can bring to the table. In the end, Ram is more agreeable than I thought, or maybe Laura is just to handful for him to handle, either way here we are collaborating on our next move.

"We should have a group name... something catchy. Like GuRL, you know for each first letter of our names Geraldine, Ram, and Laura but for it not to be obvious we put the letter U in between so it's like a common phrase, you get it right? Does it make sense? You got the drift?" She explained that made it even more whimsical. Her eyes moved to me and then to Ram waiting for validation of her ideas.

"I don't think a group name is necessary" Ram politely turned the thought down.

Laura rolls her eyes. "Okay party pooper" she responded which made me giggle.

"You are such a brat!" I commented on her.

She smiled back and winked at me. "Just a little."

"How are you feeling now Ram?" I asked out of nowhere.

Ram instinctively touched the wound on his shoulder before smiling at me. "Despite the circumstance, I think I am doing good" he responded.

"Should we already be talking about this? Instead of recovering first?" I tried to make a point. "I am worried about your health," I added.

"Huwag ka nang mag-alala sa akin Geraldine. I am okay. The doctor patches me well" he assured me.

I nodded not wanting to press the topic even further.

"Hello! Wohoooo! I am here, okay? I am just letting you guys know in case you forget" Laura added dramatically.

Napailing na lamang si Ram habang nakangiti itong nakatingin sa akin.

"Okay! Moving on..." Ram tried to segue. "Based on what we currently know, the fraud and the attempted murder were not solely committed by Louie. Someone more powerful is pulling the strings behind the scenes but until now we can't seem to figure out who. Though we track the movements of money from offshore accounts we cannot tie it to a specific name yet." Ram shared. "There are several angles we looked at and though each of those theories is interesting we don't have tangible proof to convict anyone as of yet."