Chapter 25

I onboarded the first flight pabalik ng bansa after I had settled everything at work and made proper endorsements, they were more than happy to give me the vacation I badly needed and even offered an extra day or two to add to my time off. I pulled my fury sweater up as I carefully navigated my way through the not-so-crowded airport.

I need coffee. My thoughts prompted after I checked in and just waited for my flight schedule, I looked at my watch and realized I still had plenty of time. I walked my way toward the cafeteria and breathed in the aroma of the freshly brewed coffee beans.

Ahhh heavenly scent!  

I quickly ordered a cup and enjoyed my solitude as I watched a handful of people catching their flights. A tiny part of me is nervous if I'm being honest, I haven't heard anything from Ram since the last time he offered that I go with him. I'm not sure if he hated me for what I did or understood it, but I know I could have talked to him in person instead of ghosting him, unfortunately, I didn't dare to do so before. Did Laura perhaps invite him? I should have asked but I was trying to play it cool and now my anxiety is bugging me. I sipped the coffee again and another thought prompted. How about Allen? Nope, no way... let's not go there. I have managed to stop myself from thinking about him for the past year, let's not break that cycle now. He probably is married and has kids so it's not fair for me to linger in these not-so-good memories.

I sighed. Ngayon parang nagsisisi ako kung bakit ako pumayag na bumalik ng bansa. These unfinished emotions have slowly resurfaced, and I don't like it. Laura could have understood if I had said no to this wedding, but I was caught in the moment when she invited me. Anyway, the good thing is I am not part of the entourage. I always hated the bridesmaid and maid honor role. The dress is never nice. I smiled a little. Instead, Laura wanted me to take intimate photos for her and her guest, though I am not the official photographer, but I prefer having this role more than anything else. When the intercom announced that my flight was ready for boarding, I swiftly finished my cup and headed to the gates right after. It didn't take a long time for me to get up and fly in the air heading back to my old forgotten life.

Here we go again.

When I landed at the airport Laura and her fiancée were there patiently waiting for my arrival. I didn't expect that she'd do that and so I was genuinely surprised to see her.

We embraced tightly.

"Geraldine! I miss you so much!" Saad Nito and I smiled warmly.

"It's been a while; I miss you too Laura..."

"You look prettier! The Canadian climate suits you well. So this my fiancée, you've met through face time but here he is in the flesh, Geraldine this is Charles, baby this is my best friend" pagpapakilala nito.

"Nice to meet you Geraldine, I have heard a lot about you." Saad nito sa akin. 

 I hope it's not all bad. Saad ng isip ko.

We shake hands and Charles is pretty much a cool guy, madaling kausap at napakapormal, opposite kay Laura. Opposite do attracts they say.

We drove past the highway and Laura started to narrate all her preparations for the wedding, the ceremony would be in two days, and they exclusively rented an entire resort to accommodate all the guests and family.

"You have your dress, right?" Laura asked.

"Yeah, I guess, it doesn't matter what I wear right?" She looked at me mortified.

"This is an abomination!" Saad nito.

"You are exaggerating" tugon ko dito.

"You have to go to my room later and we need to find you the perfect dress!" she insisted.