Chapter 30: Disturbing Developments

Things appeared to be running smoothly once again, despite the revelation that Cytro had arrived on Remnant, and the unsettling discovery of Toxzon's new Gas that turned Grimm into Goopanoid Grimm, everyone at Beacon was focusing on getting the Gym ready for the Vytal Dance. Teams Rwby and JNPR had met Cinder's crew disguised as exchange students. What no one realized was that Jason Naught was also part of the infiltration team for the next part of their plan. Naught managed to infiltrate Beacon under the disguise as being a Huntsman chaperoning Cinder's team for the Vytal Festival, Cinder and her trio begrudgingly accepted this new turn of events, meanwhile, everyone at Beacon, students and the visiting students from the other academies for the festival were getting the schools Ballroom set for the dance, all but Blake, who over the course of two weeks, began to grow restless and obsessed in her search for answers regarding Torchwick and his connection to the White Fang and Max Steel's adversaries. But before that, everyone was in combat class with Glynda Goodwitch.

Location: Beacon Classroom, Combat class

Pyrrha had just finished a sparing match against lo the members of Team CRDL and boy were they mad.

Glynda Goodwitch: Congratulations Miss Nikos you should have no trouble qualifying for the tournament.

Cardin: Lucky shot- ow!
He screamed as someone flicked a piece of paper folded into a triangle at his face before he could finish complaining about his entire team loosing to Pyrrha. What no one noticed was that Max McGrath was the culprit behind flicking the paper in Cardin's face. Cardin glared trying to find the culprit, but shook it off helping his teammates stand up and walk off. Yang, Nora and Jaune high fived Max for hitting Cardin with that paper. Even Weiss couldn't help but laugh a little bit at what befell Cardin.

Glynda Goodwitch: Alright, I know that's a tough act to follow, but we have time for one more sparring match. Any volunteers?

Her gaze sweeping the audience, she focused on a certain black-haired Faunus.

Glynda Goodwitch: Miss Belladonna?
She asked, causing Blake to look up startled.

Glynda Goodwitch: You've been rather docile for the past few classes. Why don't you-

Mercury: I'll do it. (He offered, raising his hand lazily while the others glanced at him in surprise.) I volunteer as tribute.

Glynda Goodwitch: Mercury is it? (she asked, fighting back her surprise as she adjusted her spectacles.) Very well, how about you and Miss Belladonna fight one another?

However, Mercury had something else in mind.

Mercury: Actually, I wanna fight...her.
He finished, as he raised his hand and pointed at Pyrrha.

Pyrrha: Me?

Glynda Goodwitch: I'm afraid Miss Nikos has just finished a match. (She replied crossing her arms) I recommend you choose another partner.

Max: I'll fight him.

This got everyone to look at Max in surprise. While also pissing off Emerald and Mercury, since their original plan was to find out just how good of a fighter Pyrrha was.

Glynda Goodwitch: Thank you for volunteering Mr. McGrath, Mr. Black, do you accept?

Mercury thought about it, then shook it off.

Mercury: Fine by me, just so you know, I won't go easy on you. (he smirked.)

Max: I'd be insulted if you'd did cowboy.

Mercury: Confidence, I like that, but that'll only get you so far. Skill is what determines the outcome.

Max: You took the words right out of my mouth.