Pre Procedure Stress

"Tony? Sir? You there?" I asked, trying to awake my guardian who dozed off listening to my stories.

I stared at Pav and then took his hand as we left Tony's office.

"Hey uh- Steve... Tony just like dozed off... Do we like take him to his room or-?" I called out at Captain.

"Could you take him to his room then? A little busy here" Steve replied, continuing the fight with the new recruits.

"K" i said, staring up a bit at Pav in a i-guess-we-gotta-do-work-now pitiful look.

While I couldn't physically do any work anymore, just to be ready for the procedure, Pav has spider strength.

Spider strength doesn't mean the strength of a spider, but the capacity of one, basically Pavitr can lift almost fifty times his body weight, so he's like super strong. Definitely the backup I need during my time like this. Being weak is terrible.

He picked up Tony on his shoulder and i guided him to Tony's room.

A lot had changed, I keep bringing it up, but it has. The paintings on the walls are different, heck, the walls are a completely different colour, and some of them have been broken down to create training arenas or rooms for the new recruits.

As I opened Tony's room, I saw the change in the organisation, everything was in order now, and the room was filled with photos of his daughter and wife. It did hurt me a little, my heart felt heavier, but I knew that he had a blood daughter now, and she's closer to him, she doesn't have trauma and she doesn't push everyone away, probably.

She also wouldn't have to spend most of her time training to be an Avenger in the future, or fixing up her source of life. She's a better child than me, Tony deserves her.

As if Pavitr could read my mind, he laid Tony on his bed and then wrapped his arm around my shoulder as we walked out of the room.

"It hurts? That he has an actual daughter now?" Pavitr said, whispering so only I could hear it.
"Kinda"
"But you don't live with him anymore, you're an independent woman"
"It's like closure, knowing you actually do have parents, or people who care for you like one"
"I get"
"Right... Bhim. Losing him was hard on you wasn't it?"
"Very, but I knew I couldn't change his story"
"Hm"
"Life must've been tough on you growing up, huh?"
"Gee, is it obvious?"

He chuckled at that, and smiled at me lovingly. What did I do to deserve someone like this.

"Just know, I'll always be there whenever you come back, home or wherever"
"Not like a parent or guardian!"
"Well obviously" he said, and we reached the main hall once again.

We sat down on one of the sofas and watched the trainees fight. I had an urge to join them, but I knew I would not end up surviving, because of the PS that is.

I took a long sigh and stared at Pav, i was basically lying down on the sofa at this point because I was so tired.

"Hey, you wanna take a nap or something? Tony's nudged the bucket and it's probably gonna be a bit until the procedure starts" i say to Pav, who had a tensed expression but managed to keep a calm posture.

"It's probably for the best" he replied, yawning.

He fell asleep on the other side of the sofa and I too fell asleep, few minutes after him.

While asleep the same nightmare haunted me again; finally winning, defeating the Sinister Six, being at the top of the world, and just one hit away from ending the Green Goblin. It felt like everything I had done, was for that moment, the thrill, the high. It was perfect.

I held the goblin up against a building, my hand strangling his neck as he balanced on the glass surface, blood trickling down his face and my hand. I raised my left fist and went in to punch him, but I was late. I basked in the glory too long that i was late in killing the enemy.

Doctor Octopus' metal tentacle clawed my power source, damaging it in process. I screamed out in agony, pain filled my body, and my powers stopped working, I stopped hovering, and I fell down, onto the cold hard marble pavement.

I knew I had to keep going, and i stood up again, for my team, they were probably fighting some other villains while I was weak.

I looked down and around, seeing my teammates lying on the ground, and blood covering the entire floor.

Then the scene repeated, everything seeming clearer and more vivid, almost as if I could hear everything.

I was once again hovering and strangling the Goblin, but I felt more in control now, i punched him quicker and made sure Ock didn't come near me.

It seemed like a happy ending, my team survived, and i, survived. I didn't have a damaged life source.

And then the scene repeated, once again.

I held up the Goblin again, but before I could do anything, a civilian screamed.

"You're not a hero"
"Your team is dead"
"Why are you doing this"
"Stupid heroes"

And i froze. The punch that I was forming stopped midair.

Why was I doing this?

There must've been a reason. My entire teams was dead, there must have been a reason why, a reason why I was doing this.

And then it was again, the tentacle destroying my power source, my life source, my one reason of being.

And i only wanted one thing at that moment, a home to go back to, with warm cooked meals and chocolate chip cookies and hot cocoa next to a warm fire, hugging whoever. Reading a book, or making some random craft thing. Why did I never get to grow up like that?