Reverie

(Hyejin's POV)

The early morning sun cast a gentle glow on the city as I stood on my balcony, contemplating the idea of feigning illness to escape the relentless demands of the day. 

Exhaustion clung to me like a heavy shroud, a silent plea for respite from the whirlwind of my K-pop idol life. 

My thoughts wandered back to the conversation with Yeon, the unspoken complexities that lingered beneath our interactions.

The doorbell interrupted my musings, and I checked the clock, puzzled by the unexpected visitor at such an early hour. 

Opening the door, I was met with Yeon, a sight that both surprised and comforted me.

"Yeon? What brings you here so early?" I asked, genuinely curious.

He offered a small smile, a rare glimpse of warmth that contrasted with his usual stoicism. "Just checking up on you after the late night. Thought you might need a pick-me-up for the day."

In his hands, he held a cup of my favorite coffee from the nearby cafe. 

The gesture struck a chord, and a memory flickered in my mind – the first time Taehyung approached me at that very cafe. 

I took the cup, the familiar aroma awakening a mix of emotions within me.

"Thank you, Yeon. This is thoughtful," I said, a genuine appreciation in my voice.

As I sipped the coffee, I noticed Yeon's eyes lingering on me, a flicker of something unspoken in his gaze. The air between us thickened, and I couldn't help but feel a weight that I couldn't quite comprehend.

"How are you feeling today?" Yeon inquired, breaking the silence that had settled between us.

I shrugged, the fatigue evident in my response. "Exhausted, as usual. These schedules are getting to me."

He nodded, a shared understanding of the relentless nature of my world. "It's a demanding industry. But you handle it with grace."

I chuckled, the compliment easing the tension that had woven itself into our interactions. "Grace, or just good at pretending, I can't even tell anymore."

Yeon's gaze remained steady, a depth in his eyes that hinted at a complexity I couldn't grasp. "Hyejin, I wanted to talk to you about something."

I raised an eyebrow, curiosity piqued. "What's on your mind?"

His words came out measured, a cautious choice of phrases. "Our... situation. It's not easy for me."

Confusion crept into my features as I tried to decipher his cryptic statement. "What situation? Yeon, you've been a great bodyguard. I appreciate your dedication."

He hesitated, the unspoken lingering between us. "It's more than that, Hyejin. It's about us."

A subtle discomfort settled in the air, and I sensed a shift in the dynamics between us. "What are you talking about?"

His eyes searched mine, and I realized that perhaps the complexity I couldn't grasp was rooted in emotions I hadn't fully acknowledged. 

"Nothing. Maybe it's just me. Never mind. I just wanted to make sure you're okay."

The unspoken hung in the air, a tension that refused to dissipate. I nodded, a mix of confusion and concern marring my expression. "I appreciate your concern, Yeon. But really, I'm fine. Just tired."

--

The dressing room felt like a haven of solitude as I sprawled on the couch, the exhaustion from the day's commitments settling in. 

Hana entered with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Rough day?" she teased, a playful smile dancing on her lips.

I sighed, sinking deeper into the cushions. "You have no idea. These schedules are draining the life out of me."

Hana chuckled, her teasing nature undeterred. "Well, you better recharge, superstar. We have another packed day tomorrow."

Before I could respond, the door creaked open, and Yeon stepped inside. Hana raised an eyebrow, her eyes flicking between us with an amused expression. 

Yeon's demeanor, however, was noticeably different from usual.

"Leaving already, Yeon?" Hana asked, her playful tone matching the sly glint in her eyes.

Yeon's gaze briefly met mine before he replied, "Yeah, I thought Hyejin was alone. I'll catch up with you later."

As he left, a lingering tension settled in the room. Hana looked at me with a knowing smirk. "What's Yeon's deal? He seemed oddly flustered."

I shrugged, feigning nonchalance. "Who knows? Probably just tired. Bodyguard life is no joke."

Hana's playful expression turned into a sly grin. "Or maybe he has a crush on you. Wouldn't that be a plot twist?"

I rolled my eyes, dismissing her suggestion with a laugh. "Don't be ridiculous, Hana. Yeon is a professional."

As if on cue, my phone rang, and Taehyung's name flashed on the screen. I put him on speaker, allowing Hana to join the conversation.

"Hey, beautiful. How was your day?" Taehyung's voice filled the room.

"Exhausting," I replied, glancing at Hana, who was making exaggerated heart gestures.

Taehyung chuckled. "I was thinking of taking you somewhere nice tonight. What do you say?"

I sighed, the exhaustion evident in my voice. "Honestly, I just want to stay in tonight. Maybe order some food."

A thoughtful expression crossed Taehyung's face. "Alright, then. I'll drop by with dinner. You deserve a break."

As we ended the call, Hana wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. "That Taehyung really knows how to treat a lady. Lucky you."

I smiled, appreciating the sentiment. "Yeah, he's sweet like that."

(Yeon's POV)

The faint echoes of Hyejin's conversation with Taehyung lingered in the dressing room as I stepped outside, seeking solace in the thin tendrils of smoke that spiraled from my cigarette. The night air was cool, a stark contrast to the warmth of the room I had just left.

Frustration clawed at me, a gnawing awareness of the emotions I harbored for Hyejin. I cursed myself for letting the situation unravel, for allowing feelings that had no place in my role as her bodyguard to take root.

As I took another drag of my cigarette, I tried to shake off the unease that settled within me. 

"Damn it," I muttered under my breath, crushing the cigarette butt beneath my heel. The smoke, a temporary escape, did little to soothe the turmoil within.

I retraced my steps back to the dressing room, pushing aside the lingering frustration. As I entered, Hana shot me a curious look, her eyes questioning the source of my unrest.

"Everything okay, Yeon?" she asked, her tone laced with concern.

I nodded, offering a forced smile. "Just had to clear my head. Long day, you know?"

Hana's gaze lingered, as if she sensed there was more beneath the surface. "Alright, if you say so. But you're not fooling anyone with that act."

I chuckled, appreciating Hana's perceptiveness. "You know me too well."

The dressing room buzzed with Hana's chatter, but my attention was drawn back to Hyejin, who seemed lost in her own thoughts, clicking away on her phone. 

The unspoken tension between us lingered, a heavy weight I couldn't escape.