Turning Point

(Hyejin's POV)

Incheon greeted me with its familiar chaos as I disembarked from the plane. The press of people, the constant buzz of activity—it was a stark contrast to the solitude I had sought during my time away. Yeon remained at a careful distance as we navigated through the crowded airport. I found solace in the company of the other bodyguards, distancing myself from him.

Upon arriving at my apartment, I tossed my bags carelessly onto the floor. The emptiness of the space mirrored the hollowness I felt within. Stripping off my clothes, I stepped into the shower, hoping the water would wash away the confusing emotions that clung to me.

The images played like a movie—Yeon's proximity, the subtle advances, the tension that had unfolded in the lounge. Frustration boiled within me, and as if to release it, my knuckles met the unforgiving surface of the bathroom wall.

Wrapping myself in a towel, I ventured into the kitchen, hoping the routine of daily life would drown out the cacophony of conflicting emotions. The apartment door swung open, revealing Taehyung, a bouquet of flowers in one hand and takeout in the other.

"You're already here? I wanted to surprise you," he said, a playful smile tugging at his lips.

I managed a smile in return, the act feeling like a mask over the turmoil within. "Surprise indeed. What's the occasion?"

Taehyung stepped closer, the scent of flowers and his cologne enveloping me. "No occasion, just missed you. Thought we could have a quiet night in." He kissed my cheeks as he set the things on the island.

I briefly excused myself so I could change into fresh clothes, Taehyung's eyes followed me, an unspoken intensity lingering in the air. 

The conversation flowed, Taehyung's words laden with a flirtatious charm that had once captivated me. However, my mind kept drifting back to the events with Yeon, a phantom presence in the room.

"Is everything okay?" Taehyung's voice broke through the tumult in my mind, his eyes searching mine for any sign of distress.

I brushed it off with a forced casualness. "Yeah, just jet-lagged, maybe. Long flights mess with my head."

His gaze lingered, concern etched across his features. "Hyejin, you can tell me if something's bothering you. I'm here for you."

The weight of unspoken words pressed upon me, and I hesitated before responding. "It's nothing, really. Just need some time to readjust."

The evening continued, the laughter and shared moments attempting to drown out the echoes of the night before. As Taehyung leaned in for a kiss, I reciprocated, yet the touch lacked the usual warmth.

Later, lying in bed, I stared at the ceiling, the events replaying in my mind. The distance between Taehyung and me felt like an unbridgeable chasm. The silence of the room echoed with the weight of decisions made and those avoided.

"Tae," I began, my voice barely above a whisper, "do you ever feel like we're trapped? Like there's something more we could have?"

He propped himself up on his elbow, studying my face. "What do you mean?"

"I'm tired of this," I whispered, the weight of the words hanging in the air like an unspoken truth.

Taehyung's eyes searched mine, a mixture of concern and curiosity. "Of us?"

I shook my head, the confusion evident in my gaze. "No, not us. But this... this constant secrecy, the hidden glances, the shadows we're forced to live in. It's... it's suffocating"

He remained silent, waiting for me to continue. I took a deep breath, the words spilling out like a confession I had long kept buried.

"During my trip, something happened," I confessed, my voice barely audible. "Yeon... he—"