✨ Lie nr. 33

Lies:

Lies:

Nothing's wrong

My little pillow princess

The ice feels colder than usual beneath my skates as I glide across the rink. Each stride echoes the tension building within me, dragging myself through morning practice. As much as I try to focus, frustration settles heavily on my shoulders.

I'm pissed.

I'm worried.

I'm so fucking worried!

"What the hell Mills!" Mackie yells at me when a hard slapshot takes him by surprise. "Is the honeymoon phase over already? Or did she leave some leach marks on another dude? Jesus man, you're trying to kill me out here? This is goalie abuse!"

"Nothing's wrong!" I lie, while slapping another puck his way.

After getting back from the Hamptons, the rest of weekend passed in a blur, and I can't deal with this feeling that something is not right between Céline and I.

I slap another one at Mackie, and it ricochets off his padding. He doesn't look too happy I'm taking my anger out on him. "Mills, hell ey! Spill it!"

"My girlfriend's been ignoring me." I admit as Mackie and I are the only two on the ice already, the rest of the team still chatting by the boards and waiting for our coach to show his face. "She promised to text me after we got back from the wedding, but all I got was radio silence all day yesterday and the night before..."

Mackie tilts his head at me, and even past that goalie helmet of his is can see the concerned look on his face. "Did ya try to text her? Call her?"

"Of course..." I mutter, spraying him with some icy snow as I come to a stop next to him. I texted her multiple times. Called a few times too. "Left on read. All of them. Plus, she has a very cute voicemail." I shake and shrug...

"Ouch man." He nudges my arm with with his stick.

I shake my head, disappointment like a thick lump in my throat. "Yeah, well, I'm just worried about her, you know."

"Nah, I don't know. Never cared that much about a bird." He laughs but not even that can cheer me up, not even a little.

I lean on my stick, chin on my glove, taking a deep cold breath. "Yeah, lucky you..."

Caring hurts sometimes.

It hurts now.

"Dude," Mackie then nudges me hard before giving me a nod, his eyes flickering towards the side of the rink where Céline is engaged in a conversation with Coach Benson. I watch as her animated gestures convey a seriousness that catches my attention.