pt.3

The water rushed as Gabrielle fought against the rapids that carried her ever further downstream. It was all she could do just to keep her head above the water's surface, which didn't work all too well as she was repeatedly pushed under. While under the water, Gabrielle tumbled through the rapids before being inadvertently pushed to the surface where she coughed and gasped for air as she did everything she could to fight the current. She swam as hard as she could despite her injured ribs but wasn't strong enough to prevent herself from being tossed around like a rag doll as she was once again pulled under. Gabrielle was carried beneath the water for a good distance as she found herself unable to swim back to the water's surface. She held her breath, but soon found her lungs beginning to feel as though they were burning as she knew that she wouldn't be able to make it much longer. She needed air. Being pulled further down the river, Gabrielle struggled until her body couldn't take the deprivation of oxygen any longer and despite Gabrielle's efforts her mouth opened on its own as her natural instincts took over and attempted to take in a breath but only took in water instead. Quickly, Gabrielle covered her nose and mouth as panic began to set in and water began flowing into her lungs. Just as it seemed as though she'd drown, Gabrielle suddenly found herself being carried back to the surface. Gabrielle's head popped out from beneath the water with a gasped and as she coughed up water and took in several deep breaths. She had just somewhat caught her breath when she was shoved back underwater. She tumbled a number of times before managing to get back to the surface. However, as she resurfaced once again Gabrielle was met with a series of rocks that laid directly in her path. Unable to do anything to alter her trajectory, Gabrielle was thrust into a large bolder. She yelled painfully as her arm and shoulder was slammed against the rock before the water dragged her further along. The river tossed her about, driving her into a couple more rocks along the way. Gabrielle felt her consciousness beginning to fade when after several more minutes finally the water began to calm and slow. Further away, the scenery was peaceful as a deer stood beside the gently flowing waters and lowered its head to drink. Lapping up the cool, refreshing drink for a moment, the deer's head suddenly shot up and its ears twitched as it went on high alert after hearing an unfamiliar noise. The creature stood still as it assessed the possible danger that might be coming its way. There was silence for a moment before the small, unknown sound rang out again. This time the deer made a decision to not stick around and possibly fall prey to whatever the sound had originated from as it hastily turned about galloped off, never seeing the small barely conscious blonde who had washed up into the tall grass on the riverbank. Several long minutes passed as Gabrielle just laid there flat on her stomach, gasping and catching her breath. Exhausted and in incredible pain, Gabrielle tried to push herself up but fell flat once again as she cried out in pain that shot through her arm and back. She laid there in the grass and mud as the day's events ran through her mind.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) How did today end up like this? I woke up this morning, and it was just like any other day. And now mother, Lila and the others, they're gone. Taken who knows where. And I'm laying here, unsure of where I even am in a muddy riverbank, barely able to move. I couldn't do anything to save any of them.

Gabrielle closed her eyes as tears began to run down her cheeks.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) What am I gonna do? Mother, Lila, I'll probably never see them again. I'll probably never see father or anyone else still in the village either. I can't move to get up, and I'm so tired. So very... tired.

Though Gabrielle had tried to fight it, she felt her eyes become increasingly heavy until she could no longer hold back the darkness that finally claimed her as completely exhausted, she fell unconscious and laid there completely lost and alone along the riverbank.