pt.52

It was a late afternoon as Xena sat in her study idly watching out the window that was right behind her desk as a knock on the door pulled the Conqueror from her thoughts as she called for the person to enter and began to stand to greet the person as they entered.

LEONIDAS
Good afternoon, my lord.

XENA
Leonidas.

Xena gave a quick greeting as she looked past the man for a moment to see if anyone else was behind him, and when she saw no one, the woman sunk back down in her chair and reclined back into her previous comfortable position. An action that didn't go unnoticed by the lieutenant as he glanced behind him for a moment before returning his attention to the Conqueror.

LEONIDAS
Were you expecting someone else, my lord?

XENA
And who would I be expecting?

Leonidas smiled as he placed his hands behind his back as he walked up and stood a little in front of Xena's desk.

LEONIDAS
Perhaps a certain golden haired young woman who you seem to be keeping very busy as of late working by your side.

Xena gave the man an unhappy look, not wanting the tough and fearsome persona that she'd spent years building to be called into question.

XENA
And what of it? She is my scribe after all.

LEONIDAS
Nothing. It's just that everyone has begun to notice that you and the little one seem to be spending a greater deal of your time together as of late.

Leonidas smiled.

LEONIDAS
You must've had quite the backlog of work to do to have her here so often.

Not too pleased with what she knew was the man's teasing, Xena scowled, as this was one of the specific reasons she hadn't wanted to say anything about her feelings toward Gabrielle in the first place. And leaned forward slightly as she put her elbows on her desk and rested her chin on the back of her hands that she laced together with her fingers and looked intimidatingly at Leonidas.

XENA
And since when was it any of your concern what I do with my time or who I choose to spend it with?

LEONIDAS
Apologies, my lord. I meant nothing by it. I was meerly making an observation, nothing more.

XENA
Yes well perhaps it would be wise of you to keep observations that don't concern you to yourself and...

Another knock on the door cut Xena off as she and Leonidas looked to the doorway where Gabrielle now stood.

GABRIELLE
Sorry for interrupting. You wanted to see me my lord?

XENA
Nonsense.

Leonidas noted the gentle smile that came to Xena's face as she rose from her seat and began to move from behind her desk as she motioned for Gabrielle to come in.

XENA
I was just passing the time waiting on you to finish up in the archives.

Gabrielle walked over to where Xena and Leonidas stood and was greeted by the lutenant as she approached.