Pt.16

XENA
What exactly are we looking at?

LEONIDAS
Unfortunately we don't really have many details at this moment. Until we hear back from the runners we dispatched ahead, that is.

There was a loud thud as Xena slammed her fist onto the desk beside her as she and Leonidas stood in her private study. After Xena was initially given news of the incoming attack during dinner, she had quickly stormed out of the dinning hall to attend to the developing situation with Leonidas following.

XENA
(Angry tone) Well why haven't we heard anything yet?

LEONIDAS
I understand that the situation is fairly personal to you my lord, but you know that these things take time. Make sure your emotions do not get in the way of your judgment and make a snap decision before we have enough information.

Xena gave her second in command a scowl.

XENA
(Angry tone) I'm not stupid Leonidas. You do remember just who it is that you're talking to don't you?

LEONIDAS
Of course my lord. I was simply reminding you that in these sorts of scenarios cooler heads tend to prevail that's all.

Xena grumbled to herself as she finished making sure her armor was securely in place on her body. She looked in the mirror for a moment as she reflected on the fact that it had been quite some time since she had donned this attire specificly for battle. In the most recent times she had put it on, it had mostly been for show. A bit of an intimidation tactic as it were. After all when most people pictured the Conqueror, the image of a deadly, statuesque, armored up woman was topically the image that came to most people's mind. And that was exactly what Xena wanted. As a lot of the time just her reputation alone, true or not, was enough to keep many of those who might not be happy with her for whatever reason in line. As well as prevent any kind of threat against her from both outside and within herhoarders. But now it seemed that reputation alone wasn't enough to ward off this threat. And if the fact that anyone would have the audacity to try and raise up against her weren't enough to anger Xena. The exact details of what they were doing was the perfect catalyst to work the Conqueror's blood up to a boil. A knock on the door caused Xena to turn away from the standing mirror and called for the person to enter. A man opened the door and walked in before stopping a few feet from Xena and bringing his closed fist to his chest in the customary salute as he addressed Xena.

MESSAGER
My lord, details on the enemy's numbers and movements have just arrived.

Xena took a rolled-up scroll from the man before opening and reading the message.

XENA
This can't be right.

Xena reread what was written before her and then with a scowl on her face she angerly crumpled the paper in her hands before throwing it to the side as she walked over to where her sword sat in its sheathe and picked it up.

LEONIDAS
What is it?

XENA
(Angry tone) Not good that's what.

Xena finished hooking her weapon on her hip as Leonidas picked up and unruffled the paper to read the message.

LEONIDAS
How is this possible? How could Draco amassed such an army without us catching word of this before now?