pt.44

After a fairly quiet trip from the Amazon village, it was a hectic scene as Xena, Gabrielle, Leonidas and the rest of the small group of soldiers rode through the gates of the Conqueror's keep. Having received word from the outer patrolmen of the groups impending arrival, those on the grounds of the keep were able to briefly prepare for the Xena's return. And as such a number of the Conqueror's servants were waiting outside to assist their leader with whatever she may have needed upon her homecoming. With one such person being Elle.

ELLE
Welcome back my lord.

The young woman greeted Xena as she saw her approaching before bringing the horse she was riding to a stop in front of the young woman.

ELLE
It's been several days since your hasty departure. I'm glad to see your safe return. I hope whatever urgent business you needed to attend to went well.

XENA
I did what I set out to do.

Xena slightly nodded over her shoulder as Elle peeked around the Conqueror to see Gabrielle seated directly behind Xena and smiled at the sight of her friend's unexpected return to the keep.

ELLE
Gabrielle. I can't believe you're back.

Gabrielle smiled as Elle walked over to stand beside the horse that Gabrielle and Xena were on.

ELLE
You know after you left with those Amazons, I never thought I'd see you again. I've missed not having you around here you know.

GABRIELLE
I'm glad to see you too Elle.

Still in pain from her injuries and having the ride from the village not doing anything to help, Xena was eager to get down from her mount and settled into a relaxing evening to rest, and cleared her throat in an exaggerated and slightly annoyed manner to get Elle's attention back on task.

XENA
I'm not paying you to stand around and talk Elle.

The young woman turned her attention to Xena.

ELLE
Apologies your lordship.

Xena looked at her servant before nodding back to Gabrielle.

XENA
Whatever. Just help her down, get inside and settled back into her room

ELLE
Yes, right away my lord.

The servant held out her hand to assist Gabrielle in getting down from the horse.

XENA
And be careful. She's a little banged up.

ELLE
OH? Um, Yes, of course.

Concerned about what could have happened to Gabrielle during her absence, Elle made a mental note to ask her about it later as she carefully assisted xena in helping Gabrielle down from the horse and then hugged her for a moment before escorting her inside while trying to get any answers she could for whatever happened while she was gone.

ELLE
Are you okay? Her lordship made it sound like you were hurt. What happened?

GABRIELLE
Welll it's actually kind of a long story.

As Gabrielle was escorted into the building by Elle, Xena dismounted from her horse and fought back a wince at the too swift of a movement that ended up aggravating the injury on her side.