pt.39

The breaking of a new morning saw little to no improvement in the Conqueror's mood, of whom awoke with a splitting headache as she slowly sat up from her face down, sprawled out position on her bed as she slowly shifted to the edge of the bed and heard the ching of an empty bottle hitting the floor by her feet. She rubbed her aching forehead as she looked down to see a large empty bottle of ale that she had consumed the night before after returning to her room where she then drank until passing out. With a sigh Xena leaned down and picked up the empty bottle and set it on the nightstand by her bed before standing up and shuffling over to the wash bucket that sat on her dresser. The Conqueror stood there for a moment, looking at her reflection in the water taking note of the darkened circles under her eyes that even passing out drunk was apparently not enough to get rid of. A fleeting thought crossed her mind asking why she kept doing this to herself as an answer of "why not" followed almost immediately after. Choosing not to dive any further into the train of thought the Conqueror pushed it into the small space where it usually resided in the back of her mind as she gathered some water into her hands and splashed it onto her face to fully rouse her senses and clear her mind.

ELLE
Your breakfast is here my lord.

Xena came out from a small room connected to her bedroom in a robe after finishing a quick bath as she dried her hair and shot Elle an unhappy look before walking behind a scene to get dressed.

XENA
Leave it on the table and go.

Following the Conqueror's request, Elle placed the tray of food on a table and began walking toward the door when she heard Xena voice from behind the screen as she got dressed.

XENA
Oh and be sure to have someone else come get the tray when I'm done. I don't wanna see your face anywhere around me until I say otherwise.

Elle stopped as she turned back to face the screen that Xena was behind shocked by what she just heard.

ELLE
I'm sorry?

XENA
(Stern tone) You heard me. Now get out.

ELLE
Have I done something to upset you, your lordship?

The Conqueror stuck her head out from behind the screen as she gave her servant an intense glare before speaking.

XENA
(Stern tone) You tell me Elle. Since you seem to know more about what people around here do then I do.

Elle lowered her eyes as she realized what Xena was getting at.

ELLE
I'm sorry my lord. I know I should've told you about Gabrielle's temporary escape before, but she's my friend and...

XENA
(Angry tone) And nothing!

Elle jumped slightly as Xena shouted and came out from behind the screen fully dressed and walked up to her.

XENA
(Angry tone) You work for me. And you just let her walk out of here and didn't bother saying a word about it to anyone.

ELLE
I'm sorry. I tried to stop her from leaving, really.

XENA
Not very hard apparently since you two made it all the way to the Amazon's village.

ELLE
Well it's not as though I could physically stop her.

XENA
(Angry tone) But someone else could have! And yet you still said nothing!