pt.49

Having been hard at work organizing a shelf of scrolls for a good while, Gabrielle placed the final few rolled-up papers that she held in their appropriate place and let out a satisfied huff to herself as she stepped back and admired a job well done.

GABRIELLE
I'm all set over here Sara.

SARA
Already?

Sara's voice called back to Gabrielle from an unknown part of the archives where she was working on her own tasks.

SARA
You know you never fail to impress me with just how quickly you're able to get things done.

Gabrielle shrugged to herself.

GABRIELLE
It's no big deal. So what did you want me to do next?

SARA
Good question. Honestly since you've been here this place has gotten way more manageable and organized, so I'm not really sure just how much more needs to be done.

Sara paused for a moment as she thought of what else might have needed to be done but couldn't think of anything specific off the top of her head.

SARA
Maybe just walk around and take note of anything that you think looks out of place or needs reorganizing.

GABRIELLE
Sure thing.

With a new directive, Gabrielle began walking along the various shelves with a piece of paper and a quill in hand as she looked at the various scrolls and books, scribbling down notes on anything she saw that might have needed work.

GABRIELLE
(Talking to herself) Hm this looks pretty good here.

Gabrielle scanned one of the tall shelves that she stood between as she confirmed that everything looked to be in order before turning around to check the other shelf that had been behind her. She slowly walked along the length of the shelf, keeping her eyes on the scrolls in search for anything that looked out of place. Her focus zeroed in on her task at hand, Gabrielle hadn't even noticed when she neared the end of the shelf and suddenly found herself walking right into something that didn't give an inch when she bumped into it.

GABRIELLE
Oof.

Thinking quickly that she hoped Sara hadn't seen her do something so ridiculous, Gabrielle stepped back from whatever she had bumped into and felt her nerves immediately kick in as she saw the Conqueror standing directly in front of her.

GABRIELLE
My lord, I didn't see you there.

XENA
You know, it might be a good idea for you to watch where you're going.

GABRIELLE
(Slightly nervous tone) I'm sorry. I was just looking to see if I had to fix anything on this shelf, and I wasn't expecting anyone else to be in here aside from Sara and myself.

Xena raised her eyebrow.

XENA
Well the last I checked these were my archives.

GABRIELLE
(Slightly nervous tone) Yes of course. I wasn't implying that you or anyone else shouldn't be in here I just...

XENA
Relax, it's alright. I wasn't serious.