pt.26

Quiet crackling could be heard coming from the fireplace as the Conqueror stood over her war table. She winced and gripped the side of the table as a surge of pain ripped through the slowly healing wound in her chest. Frustrated at the pain's persistence, Xena slammed her fist onto the table before picking up and downing the cup of ale that she had previously sat on the table, hoping that the alcohol she had been consuming would soon begin to take its somewhat numbing effect. Or that she would at least become drunk enough to not care. But in truth as she finished swallowing the contents of the goblet she knew that she was only lying when she tried to tell herself that in was the physical pain that she was truly trying to dull and not the hurtful memories and emotions that had been plaguing her since the conversation she'd had with her mother just a few days prior. Xena placed the now empty goblet back on the table poured more ale from the over half empty bottle she had sitting there as well. Once the cup was filled to the brim with the alcohol, Xena placed the bottle back on the table and picked up the cup to drink. She brought the cup to her lips and began to drink when a knock on the door interrupted her self destructive binge.

XENA
(Irritated tone) Unless it's an emergency like this place being on fire you can go away and deal with whatever it is yourself.

The door then opened and Xena let out an auditable growl of disapproval as she was not in the mood to be so blazingly disobeyed.

LEONIDAS
I thought this might where you were my Lord.

Xena didn't turn to face her lieutenant as she put down her cup and placed her hands on the table in front of her.

XENA
(Irritated tone) Now exactly which part of the words go away did you not quite understand?

Leonidas stood in the doorway as he saw the current state that Xena was in and sighed to himself.

LEONIDAS
Well with your injuries when you up and disappear from your quarters without a word people around here get a little concerned. Especially since you still aren't supposed to be moving around like this. You know those healers aren't going to be happy about it.

XENA
(Irritated tone) Yeah well I couldn't care less about whither the fucking healers are happy with what I do concerning my own body or not.

Xena took a drink from her goblet before continuing to speak.

XENA
(Irritated tone) So if you're done with telling me garbage that I don't give a damn about you can go.

Leonidas moved into the room and around the side of the war table as he picked up the half empty bottle and eyed it for a moment before putting it back.

LEONIDAS
Rough morning my lord?

The Conqueror scowled at the man.

XENA
(Irritated tone) What I can't enjoy a drink or two when I want without there being something bothering me?

LEONIDAS
Of course not my lord. I've just come to notice that at times when you tend to indulge a bit more in the drink you seem to be a tad more irritable is all.

Xena narrowed her eyes at Leonidas as she put down her drink.

XENA
(Irritated tone) And?

LEONIDAS
Nothing. I simply thought that perhaps if something was bothering you that you might want to get it off your chest is all.