pt.32

The Conqueror's keep was more a buzz than normal as Gabrielle moved through the hallway carrying several scrolls from the archives to be delivered per request of the Conqueror. And while the bustle seemed similar to when Xena had returned injured from battle, the general feeling that Gabrielle got from everyone around her was fairly different. Though she couldn't quite place it, the general feeling appeared to be a mix of excitement and unease.

ELLE
Hey, Gabrielle. Where are you off to? Aren't you usually in the archives this time of day?

Gabrielle looked over her shoulder as Elle came up beside her and began walking along with her.

GABRIELLE
The Conqueror sent a message to the archives requesting these scrolls.

ELLE
Oh.

GABRIELLE
Hey, is it just me, or does things around here seem a bit more tense today than usual?

ELLE
Yeah, it definitely feels like everyone is on edge.

GABRIELLE
Any idea what's going on?

ELLE
Funny you should say that because I was just about to ask you the same thing.

The pair kept walking as Gabrielle gave Elle a questioning look.

GABRIELLE
Why would I know?

Elle shrugged.

ELLE
I thought maybe because you work directly with her lordship, you might have some inside information about a lot of the goings-on around here.

Gabrielle scoffed.

GABRIELLE
I'm her scribe, Elle, nothing more. What makes you think she would tell me anything?

ELLE
Guess I just figured you'd probably heard something while working with her.

GABRIELLE
Nothing I can recall. Though I doubt that I'm always around for every message she gets.

ELLE
Good point.

The two young women walked a bit further together before parting ways as Elle went off to continue what she'd been doing as Gabrielle made her way to the Conqueror's quarters.

XENA
Come in.

The door to Xena's study opened as Gabrielle walked in, carrying an arm full of scrolls with her.

GABRIELLE
Um, I brought the scrolls you sent for.

Xena looked up from the papers she had been looking over and motioned to an open spot on her desk that she was sitting behind.

XENA
Just put 'em there.

Following Xena's instructions, Gabrielle walked up to the desk and set down the scrolls, of which the Conqueror immediately grabbed one and opened it as she began quickly scanning through what was written before settling it aside and doing the same with another. Gabrielle watched as she repeated the action again, and then once more. As Xena grabbed yet another scroll and began to open it, she happened to glance up to see Gabrielle still standing there.