pt.12

Not knowing what to do, Gabrielle began to tremble as she knelt before the Conqueror, who sat eyeing her.

GABRIELLE

Please, don't do this. Please, I...

Gabrielle didn't know what else to say other than beg the woman sitting there not to hurt her. With an emotionless face, Xena sat watching the young woman as she pleaded for the Conqueror not to harm her. After listening to her for a few moments, Xena found herself annoyed by Gabrielle's pleas.

XENA

(Stern tone) Quiet!

Gabrielle jumped slightly at the sudden shout. She fell silent, lowering her gaze from the woman, and trying to control her fearful trembling as she waited for what she assumed was coming. Meanwhile, Xena watched her for another moment, her face unreadable as she finally spoke again.

XENA

(Stern tone) Are you done?

Gabrielle didn't know what to say, so she just remained silent, staring down at the pillows beneath her.

XENA

(Stern tone) I asked you a question.

Gabrielle felt the other woman grab her chin in a firm grip and force her to look her in the eyes. Gabrielle's terror-filled eyes met the Conqueror's intense, steely gaze.

XENA
W

ell?

Gabrielle fought back her tears as she tried to figure out what the woman wanted to hear.

GABRIELLE

(Scared tone) Please, don't hurt me.

XENA

(Stern tone) Then don't make me have to keep repeating myself, and I won't.

Xena released Gabrielle from her grasp and leaned back into the pillows.

XENA

Now I'll ask one more time. Are you done sitting there crying and acting like a child?

GABRIELLE

(Quiet tone) Yes.

XENA

Good. Now, where to begin?

Feeling that there was no way out and resigning to her fate, Gabrielle closed her eyes. She silently prayed to any gods that might have been listening, hoping that whatever was about to happen would be over quickly. With nervous hands, she reached up and began untying the lace on the front of her blouse.

XENA

(Stern tone) Stop. What are you doing?

Gabrielle froze, opening her eyes and looking at the Conqueror with a scared, confused expression.

GABRIELLE