pt.4

Gradually a pair of tired eyes fluttered open then shut as a small groan was heard. After a few seconds, the eyes opened slowly once again and blinked several times as they adjusted to the light. As they did, a somewhat foggy mind began to realize that the surrounding setting was new and unfamiliar.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) Where, am I? What happened?

Slowly, Gabrielle raised her head from her position of laying on her stomach and looked around. Nothing seemed familiar. From what Gabrielle could guess, she appeared to be in a large tent. But why she was in the tent or how she had even gotten there to begin with, she had no clue. Gabrielle began trying to sit up but stopped when her body still hurt from her rather difficult journey to where ever she now found herself. Still, Gabrielle managed to get herself into a sitting position. However, as she maneuvered her sore body, Gabrielle realized something that sent a confused and frightening feeling through her. Because as she moved, Gabrielle noticed that shackles and chains had been placed around her wrist and ankles. The chains were just long enough to give her some mobility but still not allow her full, unrestricted use of her arms and legs. The combination of everything she had gone through and now being unexpectedly bound by an unknown assailant was enough to send Gabrielle in a panic as various thoughts began rushing through her mind. Had the slavers she had escaped from found her? Had she run into another terrible group that planned on doing something similar or worse? Either way, Gabrielle didn't want to wait around to find out as she began frantically pulling against the chains, desperately trying to get free. But after a few moments, Gabrielle realized her efforts were pointless, and she was still too hurt to escape this way and stopped tugging as she took a better look around the tent. It seemed to be a rather ordinary tent with just a small blanket on the ground that Gabrielle had been placed on. Aside from that there wasn't anything of note around her, however as she sat there, Gabrielle began to hear a couple of faint voices coming from outside. She moved slightly towards the tent's opening but was stopped when she reached the limit of the length of chain she was connected to. The voices drew closer until Gabrielle could see silhouettes of a few people standing just outside.

?1
(Angry tone) I don't care what they say, I said we're going today.

?2
You do realize going there anyway like this won't go over well for the negotiations.

?1
Well if they didn't want problems, then they shouldn't have changed their minds about when to meet. The meeting was for their benefit, not mine. We had an agreement, and now they're gonna find out what happens when they don't honor it. Now get to work helping to get everything together. Have my horse brought over and saddled. We leave in no later than noon. Dismissed.

Gabrielle watched as one of the silhouettes moved away from the tent as the other stayed in place for a moment, then it moved closer to the tent's entrance and Gabrielle pushed backwards as she suddenly felt a rush of fear hit her, not knowing what might happen to her once whoever was coming her way stepped into the tent. Her back hit the wall and left her with nowhere to go as the flaps of the tent parted, letting in the bright sunlight of the day. Gabrielle raised a hand and squinted as she shielded her eyes to the sudden brightness entering the darker confines. After a moment the light faded and Gabrielle lowered her hand to see a tall figure standing just inside. She looked up at the person and was a bit surprised by the fact that despite hearing the brief conversation just outside, the person standing there before her was a woman. Gabrielle watched as the woman stood there for a moment before appearing to notice her sitting there. With an emotionless look on her face, the woman moved towards Gabrielle, who froze, unsure of what to do as she quickly found the woman standing over her. Gabrielle lifted her head to look up at the woman who stood glaring down at her with her arms folded across her chest.