pt.22

It was the day after Gabrielle's return to the keep and things were busy as she did her best to keep her head down and make herself scarce amidst the comings and goings of the bustling people who carried on with their work like normal. But even though she hadn't been living at the keep for very long, Gabrielle could feel that in spite of everything running normally, there was an air of unease hanging over the entirety of the keep. Of which did nothing to help the anxiety that Gabrielle had already been feeling about being brought back there. And though even to herself it seemed like a morbid thought to have, Gabrielle couldn't help but feel a bit relieved that the Conqueror still was unaware of her having even been gone as from what Gabrielle had heard around the keep, the woman had unconscious since her being brought back from her battle outside of Amphipolis. With many speculating on whether the Conqueror would even survive.

SARA
Oh thank you Gabrielle.

The woman accepted an armful of scrolls that Gabrielle had brought over upon request and began placing them on various shelves after briefly glancing at the small letters and numbers that were written on the backs of each one, indicating where they should go.

SARA
So you never did tell me how that little "trip" of yours and Elle's went.

Gabrielle paused in assisting Sara in putting the scrolls away as she looked at the woman in surprise.

GABRIELLE
(Nervous tone) You know about that?

Sara chuckled slightly as she carried on with her work while she spoke.

SARA
Well it's not everyday that a group of Amazons come riding into the keep. Plus I don't know if you've noticed yet, but people around here like to gossip. So word about anything even remotely new or exciting tends to travel through these halls fast.

Gabrielle looked down sadly.

GABRIELLE
Oh. So I guess there's no way the Conqueror won't know about it if she wakes up huh.

Sara paused putting the scrolls on the shelf for a moment as she looked at Gabrielle, seeing the disheartened expression on her face.

SARA
No, probably not.

Seeing that her answer did nothing to lift Gabrielle's spirits, the older woman quickly continued.

SARA
But the lord Conqueror's an understanding woman, so I'm sure once everything gets explained, everything will be just fine.

Gabrielle looked at Sara, hearing the uncertainty in her voice.

GABRIELLE
Sara, be honest. What do you think will happen to me once the Conqueror finds out I tried to leave?

SARA
(Sighing) I wish I could tell you Gabrielle but no one In this whole place fully understands how the lord Conqueror's mind works. I guess it could all depend on what kind of mood she's already in when she finds out.

GABRIELLE
So how is she normally after getting injured?

SARA
Uhh, well let's just say it makes her typical demeanor that you know seem cheerful and downright bubbly by comparison.

Sara watch as all the color suddenly drained from Gabrielle's face as Gabrielle felt her fear and dread reach new heights .

SARA
Gabrielle, are you okay? You just got really pale of the sudden.