pt.10

Roused by a steady movement and the sound of hooves clicking against the hardened earth, the world gradually came into focus as Gabrielle opened her eyes. She found herself looking at the ground as it passed beneath her, her arms bound together by a piece of rope. She also realized there was a cloth tied around her head, with a part of it pushed into her mouth to prevent her from yelling. She struggled against her restraints and made muffled groans in an attempt to free herself, before hearing a voice speak right next to her.

XENA
Quit squirming unless you want to take another nap.

Realizing that she was riding a horse with the Conqueror, Gabrielle groaned into the cloth louder and began frantically kicking her legs, trying to get away from the woman she had watched savagely beat and then kill a man without showing any remorse. As she moved and tried to practically throw herself from the horse in order to escape, Gabrielle felt her hair being roughly grabbed. Her head was forcefully lifted up, and she locked eyes with the Conqueror.

XENA
(Angry tone) I said quit squirming. Or else.

Terrified, Gabrielle could feel tears beginning to roll from her eyes. She moaned into the cloth and stopped struggling, realizing it was pointless. Seeing that Gabrielle had settled down, Xena let go of her hair and returned her hand to the reins of her horse.

XENA
That's a good girl. You just sit tight and behave yourself. We'll be there soon.

Gabrielle lowered her head, returning her gaze to the ground. She wondered where exactly she was being taken and, more importantly, what would happen to her once they arrived.

LEONIDAS
Ah, always such a welcoming sight after being away for so long.

It was nearly dark as Gabrielle felt the horse come to a halt. She raised her head to see a very large fortress up ahead. Even given her current situation, Gabrielle couldn't help but be awestruck by the magnitude of the structure. She then heard yelling and saw the large gate being opened as the horse carrying her and the Conqueror began to enter the keep grounds, with the rest of the group following closely behind. After riding for a few more minutes, the horse stopped again, and Gabrielle saw a number of people come over to the group. The others dismounted their horses and unhooked the pouches and bags attached to the saddles. Then a woman came over to where she and the Conqueror had stopped.

?
My lord, you've returned. I hope you had a pleasant trip.

Xena only grumbled in response, still fuming over what had happened as a result of Hector's unexpected appearance. Noting the Conqueror's sour mood, the woman quickly changed the subject.

?
Well, it's good to have you and everyone else back safely. I'm sure you're all famished and tired from such a long trip. If you wish, I'll have a grand meal prepared to celebrate your return.

XENA
That'll be fine.

?
Yes, my lord. I'll also have a hot bath and clean clothes waiting in your private quarters when you're ready. And...

The woman paused as she finally noticed the bound and gagged Gabrielle draped over the saddle in front of Xena.

?
I see you've returned with an addition to your party. A prisoner from battle?

XENA
In a manner of speaking.

?
Should I call for a guard to have her escorted to the dungeons?