pt.38

The days had grown a good deal shorter with the sunlight nearly fading from the evening sky as a loud thud came from the Conqueror's study from a fist slamming onto her desk as she stood up from her seat and addressed the man standing before her.

XENA
(Angry tone) What do you mean you don't have any information?

MESSAGER
Forgive me, my lord. But it seems that due to the recent change in the weather, it's made tracking Draco's movements much more difficult.

XENA
(Angry tone) You realize that the snow would make it more difficult for him and his army to move around as well. So don't you even try using that as a pathetic excuse for you or your team's incompetence.

MESSAGER
Then what would you have us do differently? We've been running ourselves into the ground for nearly a month now. Ever since you decided that finding Draco was out sole focus, my men and several other battalions have been going nearly nonstop to locate him and his army. We're exhausted and moral is down. And now that the cold and snow has begun to settle in, I'm afraid that sentiments among the soldiers aren't getting any better. So if I may, I think it would be wise to perhaps ease up on our efforts to locate Draco for the time being. At least until the spring anyway.

XENA
(Angry tone) Your men?

The Conqueror scowled, not happy with the way of which she was being spoken to by her subordinate.

XENA
(Quiet angry tone) It seems that you've somehow forgotten who it is that's in charge around here.

The solider stood stiff as he could practically feel the Conqueror's anger radiating off of her as she almost casually walked out from behind her desk and made her way over to the man while she continued to speak.

XENA
(Cold tone) You're soldiers. It's not your job to wine and complain about the orders you're given. Your job is to go out there and fight for the kingdom that you swore to serve.

The soldier remained unmoving as Xena walked around him before stopping right behind him as she spoke menacingly into his ear.

XENA
(Quiet angry tone) "My" kingdom. Meaning you do as I fucking say and keep your mouth shut and your worthless opinions to yourself.

SOLDIER
Then what are we supposed to do? Because what we're doing now clearly isn't working and I... ak!..

Feeling his airway suddenly cut off, the soldier himself unable to continue making his case as he felt the Conqueror's hand tightly gripping around his throat as she applied a great deal of pressure against the man's windpipe.

XENA
(Cold tone) You already know full well what I expect from you. But you don't seem to wanna listen.

Keeping her grip tight on his throat, Xena took her boot and pressed it into the back of the soldier's knee and forced him into a kneeling position as she continued to talk.

XENA
(Cold tone) But perhaps now I have your attention?

Unable to breathe, thus vocalize his reply, the soldier nodded as he began to try and pull Xena's hand from his neck. However, he soon found himself shoved forward with the Conqueror's knee in his back as his arms were pinned beneath both of their full weight and unable to move as his struggle to breathe continued.