pt.31

ELLE
Chilly this morning, isn't it?

GABRIELLE
A little.

Gabrielle took a spoonful of her hot porridge and blew on it before putting the food in her mouth.

ELLE
(Joking) Well, at least we have a nice hot bowl of mush to warm us up.

Elle took a spoonful of her own breakfast and grimaced at the taste, before forcing herself to swallow.

ELLE
Though I can't say as much about the flavor.

The young woman looked down at the bowl sitting in front of her and moved the portage around with her spoon.

ELLE
What did that old hag put in this?

GABRIELLE
Come on, Elle, it's not that bad.

ELLE
Here, you can have mine then.

Elle pushed her bowl across the table toward Gabrielle, who slid it back to Elle.

GABRIELLE
I'm good, thanks.

Elle gave Gabrielle a suspicious look.

ELLE
Uh huh. Not that bad? Sure.

?
More complaints about my cooking, Elle?

Both young women at the table looked to the side and saw Isidora standing near the table with a stack of empty plates and bowls in her hands.

ELLE
Yeah, you can't do it.

The old woman scowled.

ISIDORA
You clearly have no actual taste. Because if I couldn't cook, I wouldn't be here.

ELLE
Well, you really dropped the ball today with this slop.

Elle scooped up a spoonful of the mush and let it plop off her utensil and back into the bowl.

ISIDORA
Well, no one's making you eat it.

ELLE
Good thing. Because forcing anyone to eat this might be considered a new form of torture.

The old woman gave Elle an angry look before grabbing her and Gabrielle's bowls and then dumpling the contents of Elle's bowl onto the young woman's head before turning and walking away, muttering to herself.

ISIDORA
(Muttering) Ungrateful little harpy. She's lucky that the Conqueror is around. One day... And I swear, if it's not soon...

Gabrielle and Elle watched as the old woman walked away before standing from her seat.

GABRIELLE
I guess I'll just head to the archives.

ELLE
(Half joking) Take me with you. Don't make me go into that kitchen with that hag.

GABRIELLE
You know, maybe if you didn't call Isidora a hag, she might be a little nicer to you.

ELLE
Easy for you to say, you don't work with the woman every day. Besides, you've seen her. She's not exactly fun to be around.