pt.6

Gabrielle held on to the saddle horn and silently sat there as she tried to ignore how uncomfortable the fresh bandages around her ribs were. They had been put on after Xena had her looked at due to her noticing the other visible cuts and bruises all over Gabrielle's body. So after being tended to, Gabrielle was giving some food and was giving some spare clothing until hers were cleaned, dried and given back to her. She watched as they rode by the peaceful scenery that she would typically take full advantage of getting to see, but giving her current situation, taking in the sights was the furthest thing from Gabrielle's mind. She didn't know how long they've been traveling when she decided to try and see if she could figure out a way to get away from her new captors.

GABRIELLE
So you said we're going to Olympia?

XENA
Mm.

GABRIELLE
Can I ask what for?

XENA
Business.

GABRIELLE
Ah.

There was some more silence until Gabrielle spoke up again. This time asking what she really wanted to know.

GABRIELLE
You still think I'm a spy or something, don't you?

XENA
That remains to be seen.

GABRIELLE
So what are you gonna do with me?

XENA
Haven't decided yet.

GABRIELLE
I don't suppose letting me go is an option, is it?

XENA
What do you think?

GABRIELLE
Maybe? I mean, what use could you have for keeping me around. I'm sure you've got your hands full enough already without adding some random farm girl to your list of things to worry about.

Gabrielle glanced back at the woman behind her with a hopeful look in her eyes and got a very unamused expression in response.

GABRIELLE
Or not.

XENA
(Sinister tone) You know if I were you, I'd be careful with what you say. After all, if you're so concerned about my work load I could just get you out my hair right now.

Gabrielle swallowed nervously.

GABRIELLE
(Nervous tone) No, that's okay. I don't mind sticking around for a while. For as long as you'll have me, really.

XENA
Good to hear.

The two returned to their silence as they and the rest of the traveling arm continued on their way. The sun had just begun to set when a half asleep Gabrielle found herself nearly falling off the horse when Xena brought the animal to a stop and swiftly dismounted from behind Gabrielle without warning. With a quick, startled yelp, Gabrielle quickly wrapped her arms around the horse's neck as she felt herself slipping from the saddle.

LEONIDAS
My that certainly is an interesting way to ride.

The large man chuckled as he walked up, seeing Gabrielle in her precarious position of hanging off the horse with her arms wrapped around its strong neck sideways with one leg stuck on the saddle as the other dangled above the ground.