pt.51

It was snowing outside as Gabrielle moved through the keeps halls on her way to the archives. It was just another ordinary day as she happened to take notice of the beautiful scenery that laid outside the window she was walking by, causing her to stop for a moment to admire the snow coated trees and ground that seemed to sparkle with the reflection of the day's bright sunlight.

?
Something out there?

Gabrielle jumped slightly, startled at the unexpected sound of the Conqueror's voice coming from directly from behind her, and quickly turned to face the woman.

GABRIELLE
Oh my lord. I was just on my way to the archives.

Xena arched an inquisitive eyebrow.

XENA
Really now? Because from what I can see, you seem to be standing in the middle of the hallway just gazing out of this window.

Gabrielle fidgeted slightly as she tried to think of a good excuse for what she had been doing so as not to get in trouble for not getting straight to her work.

GABRIELLE
Yes well you see was just walking by on my way to the archives when I, I...
(Lying) I thought I saw a massive flock of harpies swooping down from the sky toward the keep.

Xena's brow went higher at the explanation Gabrielle had just given her for what the young woman had been doing and had to fight to keep an amused smirk from breaking her stoic expression due to the obviously false story

XENA
(Fake serious tone) Harpies, huh?

GABRIELLE
(Lying) Yes, dozens of them. Maybe even hundreds. I only noticed because of the massive shadow they cast over the sun.

XENA
Well that could be a problem. I better take a look.

Playing along, Xena turned her attention to the sky outside as Gabrielle tried to stop her in order to protect her lie that she silently questioned why in her haste she had said something so outrageous instead of something simple that would have been much easier to logically believe.

GABRIELLE
(Lying) Oh but just I guess they must not have been really interested in actually attacking here because just before you showed up they had already begun flying away.

XENA
(Fake serious tone) Mmm even so, I have better still look into this just in case they decide to come back.
We need to be ready for any potential enemy attacks.

Xena watched the sky for a moment before she spotted a small flock of locally found birds flying high among the clouds and continued as though she had found the imagined harpies that both women were well aware were never even spotted around where the keep was located.

XENA
(Fake serious tone) Ah, I see. This could be a serious problem. I better alert the guards and have everyone ready to defend the keep immediately.

Xena returned her attention to Gabrielle wearing a very serious expression on her face.

XENA
Or at least I would if this place were actually under attack.

Gabrielle gave the Conqueror a worried look as she assumed that she was now in trouble for having been caught clearly lying directly to the Conqueror's face.