pt.28

SARA
Gabrielle, Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE
Huh?

Gabrielle turned her head toward the sound of Sara's voice after being brought out of her thoughts as she stood beside the ladder that the archivist was standing several rungs above her on, as she had been helping to pass the woman the appropriate writing to go on that particular shelf. Or that was what she was supposed to be doing at least, before her mind had wondered off several minutes prior.

SARA
The scrolls Gabrielle. Can you hand 'em to me?

GABRIELLE
Oh right. Sorry.

Gabrielle took a couple scrolls from the stack in her arms as she reached up and handed them to Sara who put them where they needed to be.

SARA
You okay? You seem awfully distracted today.

Gabrielle gave the woman another couple scrolls.

GABRIELLE
Just a little tired I guess. I didn't really get a good night's sleep last night.

SARA
You know I heard this morning that there was some kind of commotion around one of the other servants quarters. Don't tell me it was the one where you're room is. Do you know what happened?

Gabrielle sighed as her mind once again went back to the highly bazaar, alarming and confusing encounter that had taken place between herself and the Conqueror just the night before, still trying as she had been for most of the day, to make any kind of sense out of what had transpired.

GABRIELLE
Honestly I have no idea.

Gabrielle sighed.

GABRIELLE
I really wish I did though.

Sara shrugged as she finished placing the scrolls she held on the shelf.

SARA
Well given how much people around here like to gossip, I'm sure we'll find out what happened before too long.

Gabrielle handed Sara the rest of the scrolls she was holding as she turned and leaned with her back against the shelf as she returned to looking out of the nearby window and sighed.

GABRIELLE
Yeah, maybe.

In a darkened room with the curtains drawn, preventing the sunlight from entering Xena layed in her bed looking up at the ceiling. The pain in her chest, though still there, was significantly more manageable than it had been the night before. However Xena still wasn't able to enjoy the relief from pain as she had woken not long before hungover and with a splitting headache caused by her alcoholic binge from the previous day. Closing her eyes, she rubbed her forehead and temples as she tried to relieve the throbbing.

XENA
(Mumbling to herself) I have got to stop doing this shit.

After a few minutes Xena gradually tried to sit up and though it hurt she eventually made it to her feet and over the small wash bucket that sat on her dresser. Standing in front of it, Xena reach in with both hands as she scooped up a large handful of water and splashed it on her face to try and clear her head from both sleep and the lingering effects of the alcohol. She did this a couple more times before she began to feel slightly better and picked up a towel that sat beside the washbasin to dry off. That was when there was a knock on the door and Xena called for the person to enter.